crossing over

• Members

I've been a Lighting Designer/Technician/Electrician for about four years now. I'm a freshman in college, where I am majoring in design. However, I would like to broaden my horizons and see what it was like to do concert lighting and whatnot. For those of you who do/have done both lighting for theatre and concerts, what sort of productions do you like better? Why?

Also, does anyone have any tips for how to get my foot in the door?

..becs.

• Members

Get a job with the local sound/production company. Thats the best (only) way into this industry.

Shouldn't be hard to get a job if your an Electrician. Not only will you be usefully for them with lighting you will also be handy for tieing in the power distro for the sound system.

• Members

I agree.... Everyone that has any recognition in this industry has entered it with some sort of electrical or electronics qualification or has more than likely just ended up working for an equipment hire company, learnt the cables and then moved on to the going out on the jobs level.

If you start a job in a warehouse for a while, the time it will take you to move on up to going out on jobs is related to how likely you are to be useful on site and how chatty and able to get on with the type of people that you aspire to be in the shoes of..

That's my experience anyway....

Good luck though...!

Steve...R

p.s. There is the all important 'knowing the right people' advantage too...

• Members

I agree.... Everyone that has any recognition in this industry has entered it with some sort of electrical or electronics qualification or has more than likely just ended up working for an equipment hire company, learnt the cables and then moved on to the going out on the jobs level.

If you start a job in a warehouse for a while, the time it will take you to move on up to going out on jobs is related to how likely you are to be useful on site and how chatty and able to get on with the type of people that you aspire to be in the shoes of..

That's my experience anyway....

Good luck though...!

Steve...R

p.s. There is the all important 'knowing the right people' advantage too...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived