Enttec Open DMX Versus Pro DMX

mddittman

• Members

OK, I'm trying to figure out what we need... I am planning on using some Chauvet Rain 56's and some colorstrips. We're playing around with FreeStyler right now. What's the difference between the Open DMX and the Pro DMX offered by Enttec? What makes the Pro worth so much more money, and does the Open DMX work fine for most jobs?

• Members

The Open DMX box relies on your computer to keep the DMX data flowing. If the computer has a temporary CPU overload, the DMX data stream will "hiccup", and this can cause chaos in your DMX fixtures - dimmer packs blacking out, scanners resetting etc etc. Not great during a live performance.

The Enttec Pro interface has a microprocessor which keeps the DMX data stream going, freeing up your computer from this task. This is much more reliable. Even if your software siezes up, the Pro interface will hold the lights at their last settings, so your audience are not plunged into darkness (as long as the interface still has USB power).

The Pro interface also electrically isolates the USB bus from the DMX bus. In practical terms, this means that if you accidentally plug a phantom-powered mic cable into your DMX rig, your laptop won't explode in a one-time pyrotechnic extravaganza.

There are plenty of people who are happily using the Open DMX device for live use. But personally, I think the Pro box is worth the extra money - one less thing to worry about on stage.

Dave Brown

www.dmxis.com

www.db-audioware.com

Archived