Automated light show with a track

boxingbakesale

• Members

I am a solo guitar player/singer that travels around and plays a lot of venues with no light systems (churches, youth events, christian clubs) and i wanna automate a light show to go with the backing tracks I play with... I wanna be able to just hit a button at the beginning of each song and have the mp3 and my light show all play at once... I am planning on getting 6 Chauvet Color Palette RGB DMX LED as my light system... I have a mac with ableton live, Logic Pro, and Garageband... I wanna do it all with my computer... is there any way someone could give me a walkthrough of what i need and how to run it... or any good suggestions for playing my tracks also... I have found several articles that allude that this is possible, but everything comes from the standpoint that i am very familiar with dmx and I do not... thanks :)

• Members

I am planning on getting 6 Chauvet Color Palette RGB DMX LED as my light system

First of all, AWESOME choice. Are you going to have any moving lights or effects lights, or just the Colorpalettes? will you be putting up a truss or using T-bars?

Secondly - software - you should be able to do this with most software DMX controllers out there, but finding a good mac-compatible one is going to be the hard part. Most of the software controllers that I'd usually recommend are for PC only. I'll see what I can dig up.

The Colorpalettes are great when used with software, because you can kick them in to 28 channel mode and control each of the 8 segments on the Colorpalette individually. So, for instance, you could have all of your colorpalettes doing a blue-green ripple effect randomly on the 8 squares. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

• Members

First of all, AWESOME choice. Are you going to have any moving lights or effects lights, or just the Colorpalettes? will you be putting up a truss or using T-bars?

I am just gonna be using just the pallettes cause all i wanna be able to do is wash the color of the stage, with some minimal strobing and such (minimal amount of smoke at some venues)... I have looked at a lot of lights and these seem to be the most versatile for the price... I will be using the t bars I have from past musical endeavors

The Colorpalettes are great when used with software, because you can kick them in to 28 channel mode and control each of the 8 segments on the Colorpalette individually. So, for instance, you could have all of your colorpalettes doing a blue-green ripple effect randomly on the 8 squares. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

this is exactly the type of thing I wanna do! I am so glad to hear that it is possible on some level...

• Members

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

But essentially i'm tryin to do the same with my band, trying to sync up some synth backing track with lighting.

Unfortunally I'm pretty reluctant to bring my one and only laptop to a gig, especially beside my drum kit where sticks do fly around occasionally.

Does anyone know if one of those new cheapo laptops (eg. Asus EEE) would have the power to run some sort of audio track and a lighting software without lagging/crashing?

Running a laptop definately simplifies my current setup that consist of a sequencer+sampler+lighting board all controlled through midi.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi have you looked into Alien Apparatus I have been playing with a drum machine doin oldies as a guitar singer solo for three years now. I picked up this unit in december and it is amazing. Lyrics, midi, audio dmx,all with one foot controller BUt i'm not shure about it cause it is computer based . but then i hear about guys like you and i think i might give it a try playin out. check out their website and they were cool to me over the phone. thanks BB

Archived