Any 'other' affordable truss systems out there?

• Members

We are currently using a 10' and sometimes 15' (with an additional 5' section) I-Beam truss. We are up to 8 fixtures, a banner and are looking at putting full backdrop on there as well. While we are not seeing any bowing this thing is starting to get heavy. I was really considering the ADJ Dura Truss system. This seems to be similar to what I'm looking for, crank stands, 10 ft span with an optional 5 ft expansion and the optional wheeled case. All at an affordable price point. Seems perfect for weekend warriors like us, playing 2-3 times a month. My biggest problem with it is not being able to reuse all my O-Clamps I'm using now. I have 10 we use and I have 4 extra's for spares. While not a huge investment I'd really like to reuse them if possible. So any other options that won't break the bank, fit these criterea and reuse my standard O-clamps?

Thanks All,

Nate

• Members

There's no good way to go cheap when it comes to truss. You can shop around and try to get good deals on used equipment, but that's about as cheap as you're going to get.

I've never used the DuraTruss, so I can't really say too much about it. It does seem like the dura truss would be perfect for what you want to do. If you're just using it for a back drop and you aren't hanging anything heavy on it, it should work perfectly. Also, the clamps for the dura truss are stupid cheap.

• Members

Yeah it just seems like the Global Truss stuff is made for full on tours and big acts. The sizes are all 'odd' to me and definitely built for cross country tours. I was hoping someone else made something in a fairly straight forward package for weekend warriors that used standard pipe sizes. I really like the convienience of the O-Clamps I have now as opposed to those thumb screw Dura Clamps.

• Members

Yeah it just seems like the Global Truss stuff is made for full on tours and big acts. The sizes are all 'odd' to me and definitely built for cross country tours. I was hoping someone else made something in a fairly straight forward package for weekend warriors that used standard pipe sizes. I really like the convienience of the O-Clamps I have now as opposed to those thumb screw Dura Clamps.

Well, the truss pipes are the standard 2" in diameter, so that'll work with O-clamps if you have the ones that you can remove the inserts from. The lengths are simply metric - the are mostly to even half meter lengths.

Most of the cross-country tours use truss made in the US to even foot lengths (or even lengths of parcan hang intervals for PRT), usually 5, 8, or 10 feet, and they a lot more expensive. In the true US pro event world (I say US because GT is euro style truss, and American truss is often different), Global Truss is a joke for a number of reasons. It's definitely the lower end of truss. It's a big step up for most bands, and works very well for them. GT triangular truss is a good step up, and will last you forever. Try to find someone selling a used package.

• Members

If your O clamps have the 1" insert, you could consider Trilite truss. The 109 series is 9" box or triangle with 1' diameter rails. Much smaller and lighter than the Global and yet very strong.

What's the price comparison of GT Triangular 12" vs. 109 square? If I remember correctly, Opti sells mainly in metric lengths as well, so what'd be the cost difference between a 1.5 meter section of GT Triangular and a 1.5 meter section of square Opti Trilite 109? What about Opti Trilite 109 triangular?

An I can vouch for Trilite being incredibly strong - I used Trilite (triangular, 10", with 2" dia pipes instead of 1") in an 18' length (2x 3m pieces) with some heavy moving lights, dimmer packs, a banner, and other stuff hanging from it (see post in post your rig thread). It's amazingly strong and amazingly lightweight. I just wouldn't use it for upright trusses...

• Members

List or MAP prices.

Global 12" box 9.84' - $ 550.95

Trilite 9" box 10' - $ 349.00

And what's the load rating difference, if any? (Not that anyone here would be able to overload Trilite other than having their whole band do pullups on it at once while the whole lighting rig was on it).

And a comparison to the triangular pricings as well, along with load rating comparisons, too if you've got the time.

• Members

The almost ten foot span of Global will support a UDL of just less than 5000 pounds while the ten foot span of Trilite will support in excess of 1700 pounds.

These are load ratings and not failure ratings, they would be at least 3 times the weight.

• Members

The I beam truss is whatever Bill sells. Again it has held up very well and we frequently use it with the additional 5 ft' extension in it. It's just getting heavy to lift (plus our sound/light guy is short). So I was looking into crank stands and was thinking if I'm gonna buy crank stands might as well look at some tri or box truss as well. Maybe not now but at least know what my upgrade path is.

Any thoughts on Tri versus Box? We will not be leaving any fixtures mounted as we use a different configuration for every show and we have cases already for anything. I'm leaning towards tri unless someone has a compleeing reason for box???

• Members

Personally I prefer box truss.

1. It gives you more mounting options, 4 rails vs. 3.

2. You can lay your cables on the top and not have to secure them as you would with tri truss.

3. It will support more weight.

4. Packs better for transport.

• Members

2. You can lay your cables on the top and not have to secure them as you would with tri truss.

YES YES YES. This will make your gig so much easier - you just lay the cables on top of the truss and use a few strategically placed wraps of electrical tape which you cut off at the end of the night (or get some velcro ties from Bill) to make sure the cables don't slip off accidentally. Much easier than running the cables through the truss or trying to tie them up under it!

+1 for box truss. The 9" Trilite stuff is really, really light. You can lift a section with your pinky finger. Seriously. It's that light.

Archived