Light Jockey & Touch Screen

Joeyunity

• Members

I have been using light jockey right off of my Laptop for several months now but i would like to put together a permanent type setup.

i would like to control my Light Jockey on a touch screen but have no idea where to begin or what is needed. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• Members

I mean, all you'd really need is a touch-screen monitor... essentially they just work off the "mouse click" property. You touch it and the mouse arrow goes there and clicks.

Get an active screen and it won't require as much pressure but you'll need to use a stylus. Most touch-screens utilize an active matrix and a passive one, so that you can push with your finger, too.

• Members

$500 is optimistic for a touch-screen laptop -- even on sites like Woot and Slickdeals it's rare to have one come up for under $700. That said, I use an HP tx1000z touch-screen tablet. Works fairly well; I'd highly recommend going with one of the newer multi-touch ones, which are only about a hundred bucks more, but are significantly more accurate and sensitive.

As far as hooking a touch screen to a desktop computer, the monitor will most likely just have a regular VGA or DVI connector, and a USB connector. That's it. XP and Vista should pick up on the touchscreen portion of it automatically.

• Members

well i already have a couple desktop computers laying around so if i could utilize them it would be great. i just want to make sure i am not missing anything.

from what i am getting out of this is you just plug a touch screen monitor into my desktop via VGA and it works. i feel like i am missing something. Like there needs to be another connection to the monitor or something along those line.

• Members

gotcha.

my concern is as follows...

i figured with a touch screen and what i have been to just make buttons that could be pushed to run programs? will this still be possible with just using the mouse?

the only time i really ran programs outside of being in programming mode with LJ is be adding them to a controller like a 2510.

Archived