Controlling lights from stage

Nxt Lvl

• Members

I just picked up some par 56 LED cans and a separate effects light, and want to be able to control them from the stage. For example, I want to be able to switch from pulse to a full wash. The cans are controlled manually with dipswitch settings. What do I need for hardware to change programs from the stage? Thanks.

• Members

Irradiant's DJ12DMX will do just about anything you might want.

This statement is false on many counts (as many people here on the forum have found with the controllers of this DJ form factor and control style), however this controller should service you well for the time being. It's good at just switching between 2 looks at the press of a button or chasing a set of looks for an effect. It's pretty easy to use, too.

• Members

This is getting old. Is there some reason you don't want to look at it?

This is the third time you asked basically the same question and the unit below is the ONLY one that I know of that will do everything you are looking for.

Look at Alien Apparatus

http://www.alienapparatus.com/

It's a really cool unit and can be used for many things. It will do what you want and also do lights and other FX.

This is a DMX controller, sample trigger, can be programmed to do some very cool things. It is a simple foot controller but the software allows for programmed effects via SMPTE or via foot click.

• Members

SL I'm confused...

How can you state that the statement is false in the first part of the sentence and then state it "should service you well" in the same sentence.

The OP is looking to be able to switch looks. The controller I suggested will allow for that to happen. It will also allow him to put selected fixtures into audio responsive mode, or sequence mode, or static mode, etc.

For a performer with a few lights and probably limited budget my suggestion has merit. Very few of the weekend warriors on this site have the need for an ETC Ion, Hog, Light Jockey, Avolites Pearl, Ecliipse, or any other esoteric controller.

• Members

Bill,

The OP needs a foot controller to trigger lights, powerpoint presentations, lyrics and more. He is also asking the same questions in the Live Sound Forum. My only thoughts on your controller are that he needs to make the changes while performing so he stated that he required a foot controller, although he didn't mention that here.

• Members

How can you state that the statement is false in the first part of the sentence and then state it "should service you well" in the same sentence.

The OP is looking to be able to switch looks. The controller I suggested will allow for that to happen. It will also allow him to put selected fixtures into audio responsive mode, or sequence mode, or static mode, etc.

For a performer with a few lights and probably limited budget my suggestion has merit. Very few of the weekend warriors on this site have the need for an ETC Ion, Hog, Light Jockey, Avolites Pearl, Ecliipse, or any other esoteric controller.

Yah, for a person on a budget it's great. A lot of people on here, though, have complained about a few things - no fader control and not being able to mix looks. This is two things that many people can live without for the first few years of running a light show. It's also impossible to have more than one look up at once.

For many of the folks who only have a few LED cans, I often want to suggest something like the Lite Puter CX-3 or CX-12, because it allows you to store looks on faders. Takes a bit longer to program but is easier to playback live.

I just wish that one of these companies would make a cheap controller that did looks on faders. It would be relatively easy to accomplish with a latest takes precedence system.

Nope, no one around here needs a hog, avo, or ion. However, looks on faders is one thing that the majority of people would use instantly and is not available. Seriously - if you know someone in Irradiant, make this pitch to them - people would quickly pay another 75 to 100 bucks at least for this technology.

• Members

jwlussow -

I wasn't blowing you off, so sorry if you got that impression. I actually think your suggestion is the best thing for me, and I contacted the company in Cali with some questions. I am all over the map right now trying to figure out what I want, and what is best for my band.

• Members

No problem. The Solo Show Controller is exactly what you are looking for so I just wanted to make sure you considered it. I've seen this in action and it is really a great unit. It is the next best thing to having a dedicated light/FX person.

Archived