Homemade light box help

• Members

I want to build a couple light boxes (possibly about the size if an ampeg 8x10) for live shows and have a few questions.

Something similar to this sort of:

20091007-063452-951103.jpg

Before I would get into building one I want to know if there is a way for them to flash on their own without having to have someone control them with a switch

• Members

You can get LED lights for the box and most LED DMX lights already have a sound activation. You can put RGB lights in the box to add color if you want. White LEDs will work but they limit the eye candy. What is you budget and how many light boxes do you want to make?

• Members

Are you going to have any other lights? Two boxes are somewhat doable with your budget. Lots of options light wise. Do you want or need any color or just white? Seems like a couple standard PARs or white LED cans per box. The video lights are controlled so that might cost a bit extra. Sound activated can work but it will really annoy the audience about half way through the first song. Be careful with lights facing the crowd.

• Members

Are you going to have any other lights? Two boxes are somewhat doable with your budget. Lots of options light wise. Do you want or need any color or just white? Seems like a couple standard PARs or white LED cans per box. The video lights are controlled so that might cost a bit extra. Sound activated can work but it will really annoy the audience about half way through the first song. Be careful with lights facing the crowd.

Yeah good point. I just hate the lights at a lot of venues or at smaller shows and feel we need something to spice it up and create a cool vibe and the light boxes seemed like a low cost and easily transportable solution as opposed to having a more elaborate lighting system. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Members

A couple of Zippers or Colorstrips would be great. Also look into Blizzard Lighting's Pucks. These are all very easy to move around, light weight and pretty powerful. You can do some decent lighting for your budget. One important thing to remember is to light the band first and the eye candy second. Start with some front lighting. What places are you talking about? Lots of Chicago area people here.

• Members

We played cubby bear, and elbo room those places had some cool lights, but then again its not so much creating our own lighting but just adding another element that we could use at every show as a part of our live show. Something that visually stands out and seperates us from the other bands on the bill.

We have played, cubby bear, bottom lounge, elbo room, chicago city limits, mayne stage, reggies, cool river, and others

Archived