Beginner question - Please help

• Members

I know this is a dumb question for most if not all of you but I just made a mistake and I don't want to repeat it. I just bought the MBT scx101 foot controller. I thought I would be able to control LED lights without dimmer packs. It appears that I need dimmer packs. For less money I can get the obey 70 and the FCB-1010 that will do much more for less money. My question is:

Does the Obey 70 control LED lights without the use of dimmer packs?

• Members

The problem with the SCX 101 is the limited number of DMX control channels. It will control DMX fixtures without dimmer packs, just not very many of them.

Give us an idea of how many fixtures you want to control and we'll help you get there.

• Members

Thanks guys. I feel better now. I think it will do exactly what I first thought it would do.

I'm not looking for a lot. I'm in a four piece cover band that plays current rock and dance tunes. We currently have an analog rig that we bought cheep on craigs list. It consists of four par 56 and four par 64's with two analog dimmers and foot controller. We use four scenes and chase them sometimes. The clubs don't always provide adequate power so we have blown some circuits and the heat they create is crazy.

We just want to replace what we have with dmx and Led lights. I'm thinking about getting 8 chauvet LED splash 200's. We might get two scanners running on audio to point at the dance floor. As long as the SCX 101 runs the 200's we should have more capability then we currently do.

Do you know if I will be able to blackout the scanners with the SCX 101 when I want to?

• Members

I just went through the manual I downloaded (because the pedal hasn't arrived yet) it appears that the SCX 101 does not do blackouts. Does anyone know if this is true or not true? Now I'm thinking about the Obey 70 and midi foot controller. I'll probably be happier in the long run anyway. I'm sure I'm always going to want to add not take away lights.

• Members

You are really better going with the obey 70 and expanding on it. The scx101 is a fine controller for a few cans and dimmer packs but add some effects and stuff and it gets pretty limited!

You WILL want more lighting and effects it's just the way G.A.S. works.

• Members

SCX101 ain't bad at all. It is 16 channels but that is four separate sets of 4 channel lights. We did that for a long time pretty successfully. It is limited but it works. We have had 16 lights running off it a few times.

Archived