Back Lighting For Band

• Members

I have learned a lot from the people who post here. Thank you. I would like to get some recommendations on back lighting. I play in a band. After a lot of research, I decided on buying 6 Chauvet SlimPAR Pro Tri's for front lighting. I run them via DMX and they look really nice (in my opinion). I mount them on either two light stands, or on a Global Truss system, depending on the gig.

For back lighting, I currently use two Chauvet COLORband TRI's. They are OK, but not amazing. I have seen some sets up that have a bunch of mismatched blinking/strobing lights. I am hoping to create a more uniformed look, while not being boring either. What would you recommend for back lighting? Our average stage is probably only 16' wide by 10' deep. Regarding budget, I'd rather spend more $ on quality than less on something not reliable. One big key is that I have to set them up and tear down each night, so portability is somewhat important. Thank you for any input.

• Members

Good choice on the front lighting. I have a good friend who uses two of the Slimpar pro's per side and they work great; however I think 3 per side is really the best with those lights. For back lighting I use 12 Chauvet Par 38 Tri's. They are pre-mounted on 4 bars already powered linked and dmx'd together. I have clamps already in place on the back truss so all I have to do is put the 4 bars up, clamp down the bars, and then power link and dmx each bar. It's actually like hooking up only 2 or 3 fixtures. Takes just a few minutes to set up 12 led par cans. Sometimes I use only 8 depending on the width of the stage. The par 38 Tri's have been discontinued. They have been replaced with the Slimpar Tri 7. You could do the same type of thing using that fixture and get the additional benefit of saving space during transportation. I strongly recommend Tri Leds for the back truss so the audience doesn't have to look at those little leds all night. Attached is a pick showing my back truss with only 8 cans hooked up. (also i've updgaded to triangular truss since thie pic but you'll ge the idea)

• Members
Good choice on the front lighting. I have a good friend who uses two of the Slimpar pro's per side and they work great; however I think 3 per side is really the best with those lights. For back lighting I use 12 Chauvet Par 38 Tri's. They are pre-mounted on 4 bars already powered linked and dmx'd together. I have clamps already in place on the back truss so all I have to do is put the 4 bars up, clamp down the bars, and then power link and dmx each bar. It's actually like hooking up only 2 or 3 fixtures. Takes just a few minutes to set up 12 led par cans. Sometimes I use only 8 depending on the width of the stage. The par 38 Tri's have been discontinued. They have been replaced with the Slimpar Tri 7. You could do the same type of thing using that fixture and get the additional benefit of saving space during transportation. I strongly recommend Tri Leds for the back truss so the audience doesn't have to look at those little leds all night. Attached is a pick showing my back truss with only 8 cans hooked up. (also i've updgaded to triangular truss since thie pic but you'll ge the idea)

Wow, that's a lot of back lighting for a small stage! Those 38-Tri cans are pretty nice lights!

• Members

That venue is one of the two places we play with very low ceilings, great room otherwise. Normally the cans would be significantly above the drummers head. I have so many of those cans because I bought 12 of them on that guitar center $49 clearance. My plan was to use 8 along the back truss and 2 per side for front, however I found the beam angle to be too narrow for front lighting. Most places I can use all 12 on the back truss. Gives a nice rock and roll show look.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

After a lot of research, I am ready to buy my back lighting for my band. If your average stage was only 12'-16' wide, and 10' deep, what would you prefer:

* 4 Chauvet SlimPAR Pro Tri 18's

* 6 Chauvet SlimPAR Tri 12's

* 8 Chauvet SlimPAR Tri 7's

Cost is about the same for all options. The SlimPAR Pro's are better quality than the other two, and with that option, I can use one stand and place center stage behind the drummer. With the 6 or 8 light option, I would probably have to split them on two stands, or do some sort of truss, which would provide a wider line of back lights. Thanks for your help.

• Members

If your average stage was only 12'-16' wide, and 10' deep...with that option, I can use one stand and place center stage behind the drummer.

If the average stage is 10' deep, I wouldn't be looking at any option that required placing a tripod stand center stage behind the drummer... unless your drummer basically plays right up even with the rest of the front line.

• Members

See all those people moving to the beat? Yup that's from US, besides the cool kids always get to sit in the back of the room anyway that's how I justify it..... **** Insert cooly smily doo hickies here that I have not figured how to find when replying damn it ****

Archived