case for loaded T bar

mate_stubb

• Members

Bill you are about 6" to short for that to work.

I would build 1 wooden box with wheels. I would use 2"x2" wood sticks to build a skelaton and something to hold the bars (light will float) and then cover it with 1/4" plywood. Use textured flat black paint to cover it. Probably spend less than $60 in materials.

• Members

The case that Bill is referring to will easily hold two t-bars of four Puck RGBAWs, fully wired and ready to go. There is a built-in padded flap that sits between the two t-bars that protects the lights. I own several of the cases and they work fine for light duty transport. For heavy duty trailer/truck loads I've had custom hard cases built that will hold up to 6 loaded t-bars, but I rarely need them.

If you are using some Pucks that are twice as thick as the RGBAWs, then you might only get one t-bar per case. There is plenty of length. If the lights will fit on the t-bar next to each other, then they will fit into the case.

Thanks,

Mitchell

• Members

I've used those On Stage lighting bags for loaded/wired 4ft bars with Pucks and Chauvet Minspot RGBW movers and they fit ok.

I use one bag per bar. At this stage of the game, I try to avoid loading gear in containers heavier than they need to be as often I am the only one hauling it around. I don't want to try to cram two loaded bars into one bag at the end of a long night, even if it COULD fit in it. But thats me.

• Members

I have those On Stage bags too and use them for stands. I tried them for the t-bars and although they do work, the problem I had is there is only a single 'slot' opened up by the zipper and you have to work the t-bars through that slot. The bags that Bill suggested open up completely and you simply lay the t-bar down and then zip it up. Of course, everybody has different approaches.

My goal in getting cases/bags etc is to make setup and tear down as fast/easy as possible while still keeping the gear protected. For some gigs, we roll in giant road cases and pull out all 8 t-bars of lights including Pucks and some movers. Simple, but the things are big! For smaller (and most) gigs, the bags do well, as long as you are careful in transport and loading. It is actually less work to just use the big cases all the time. Roll in, pull out t-bar, place on stand. Reverse at the end of the night. We ended up using the bags more often only because after you've unloaded the big case - where do you put it? Back in the trailer? Well there's yet another trip. The bags just roll/fold up and can be hidden in the venue close to the stage.

Agreed about trying to keep things as light as possible. It is a balance between how many bags to open/close and how much to put into a bag. Everybody has their preferred way. There really is no 'right' answer, only what works for you and your situation.

Archived