Beginner Needs Lighting Help!

jdrummys

• Members

My wife just got me some lights and a stand for my birthday, to help with my band's show. However I need some advice on how to use them so that it's not a big mess. What I have are 2 Chauvet DJ Color Banks, a Chauvet Slimpar 56, and a Chauvet Moonflower LX5. Am I supposed to connect them together? Should I set them all to the music beat? I. am completely new to lights so any help is appreciated. Btw, I play in a cover band in small to medium sized bars.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chaff67 View Post
Is this all you have to light the band? If so, you're not going to light up much.

You can't connect any of these together. The only unit that is linkable is the Slimpar.
That's not helpful at all. So basically you have no advice on how to maximize the effect from what I have.

• Members

Put them on a slow color change pattern. Too much "blinky blinky " to the beat is distracting,for you and your audience. So if you can set them to a slow color change that'll help.
Start thinking about what you'd like your lights to "do" and when you get to the point of wanting more my first advice is to always buy a controller with more than you think you'll need.Then add you stuff to it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jdrummys

View Post

That's not helpful at all. So basically you have no advice on how to maximize the effect from what I have.

Not helpful? I answered your question about hooking them together. I asked you a question about what you planned to do with them. You did not answer. Like Bill said, if this is for lighting the drum kit only, it would work. But if you're looking to light an entire band there is no way to "maximize the effect," you will end up with a very poorly lit stage.

Archived