The New Forum.. Honest Feelings

Rimmer

• Members

To be honest, the look of the new HC forums is (almost) as much as a surprise to me as they are to everyone here.

As a group of (albeit small) seasoned and intelligent HC forumites (here in the Lighting Forum), I was wondering as to what people think about the new forums in general? Mainly from a 'look' point of view.

Before anyone turns tail and makes a run for it, i'm reliably informed that the look of the place is highly adjustable so i'm wondering what people's views are like so I can put them forward.

Every opinion counts so be frank...

Thanks. Rimmer

• Members

I'm using the Stylebot script being passed around to eliminate the awful cramped fixed width layout and useless sidepanel art. That was the worst offense.

Avatars are too small, and the image embed dialog is horribly complicated for what should be one of the most straightforward tasks.

Those are my main complaints. So far the speed and loading reliability has been very much better.

• Members

The Stylebot plugin makes ALL the difference.  Shouldn't have to use a plugin to make a forum look "right", but whatever.

Most of the other annoyances I have with it are things that I imagine will either be fixed/changed as time goes on (no quote feature in the mobile version--which I otherwise really like) or will be things I'll just get used to dealing with (no multi-quote).

All in all, I think it's fine.  

• Members

How to make it better?  Make it look as much like the old forum as possible.  Layout wise is how I mainly mean - you can keep the new colors & fonts & such.  I've been coming to the forum much less often since I saw the new layout.  I installed the StyleBot stuff today and it's an improvement, but I shouldn't have to have a workaround to view the forum.  Width-adaptive, vertically compact layouts are the standard for forums, and the basic layout here is neither width-adaptive or vertically compact.  You should not have to scroll down extensively to get to the forums, and they should make use of your full screen real estate in an efficient way.

Archived