Obey 70 Controller - Chase question

wesearcy

• Members

Running with an Obey 70 DMX Lighting controller. I am not able to have any of the 6 chases cycle unto themselves. Seems that I start with one of the 6 and once the sequence within that chase completes, the controller switches over to another chase rather than repeating the chase sequence again. Is there a way to program a chase to repeat until the user selects another chase number? Thanks for any help you can lend.

• Members

Thanks Strat. 

I get the feeling the Obey 70 might be problematic.  Once I get into chase mode, it will not exit or switch back over to Manual Scene mode until re-booting the unit.  I went ahead and placed 240 scenes into each chase so it will take longer to cycle through while we are playing. 

Not that I'll ever do it, but the MIDI sequencing option on the controller looks like it might be worth some investigation.  I have one act where we play to MP3's created out of MIDI files found online and edit with a Kurzy.  The MIDI config table in the Obey 70 manual makes sense to me.  If I can get Cakewalk to talk to the Obey 70, it looks like we'll be able to invoke about 1/2 the scenes or any of the chases from within a MIDI sequence.

I'll google DMXIS to see what you are talking about.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

Wes

• Members

Check my threads with videos. I'm 100% NOT a light guy. Here's a quick video of 10 of my newer scenes.

I think I paid $260 on eBay. You get the software and the hardware interface. The interface is simple. 512 faders basically. You set your DMX addresses, then it works. There's a list of fixtures to choose from, which puts labels on each slider etc.

Take my Blizzard 3NX's. I addressed them in pairs, and loaded the fixture for each. If I want one pair to be green, I move the green fader and that pair turns green. If I want them all green, I double click the green fader, and all the lights act in unison.

If you had multiple scanners, you could move them in pairs, set gobos etc individually or together as a group.

You see the purple 3NX's fading in and out? That's due to an oscillator controlling the dimmer. If I left them in a group they would all dim, and all light up at once. Then i turned on chase, and they take turns getting brighter & dim.

Same with the moving scanners. I didn't choose the paths. I chose the vertical and horizontal faders in a group. Turned on the oscillator, made a few adjustments to where I liked it and went with it.

Real lampies might find it a little on the basic side but it does what I need. People run it with Ambleton live for sequencing. I hook it up to a behringer FCB1010 controller, and just change scenes manually.

Compared to the Obey70, DMXIS is a walk in the park. I definitely recommend it!!

• Members

You make your different scenes. Each one goes into a list. Then the Foot controller just runs down the list. The FCB1010 is around $150. There's 10 pedals, a bank up, a bank down, and 2 volume pedals.

Plug it in to a USB to Midi interface and you're good to go. You don't have to change any settings. Select the midi interface in the DMXIS preference, and you're good to go.

The first ten scenes on the list correspond with buttons 1 - 10, bank 00. Hit bank 01, and you have the next 10 scenes. Etc etc.

DMXIS can also learn midi. I select the dimmer slider on the lights I have on the band. I right click and select learn. Then I move the first volume pedal...done. The first volume pedal controls the dimmer for the lights on the band in every scene.

I set the second volume pedal to control the smoke machine via DMXIS as well.

Like I said, I really like it! I organized the list so button 10 on any bank is blackout with lights on the band. Then I can randomly pick scenes via foot pedal and hit blackout at the end of the song. It's pretty sweet!!!

• Members

Strat,

You are too kind brutha.  Your lights look excellent and you got me seriously looking at your control system.  When I find a great deal on a lapper to run it, I think this will be the next move.  Enttec has all of my fixtures in their library and I downloaded the software. It looks pretty straight forward.  The addition of just the DMX control channels for each light when the control board learns your fixture looks pretty cool.  none of the superflourous extra channels just because each fixture could have up to 32 DMX channels.  The labelling at the top line is really hip too.  Thanks for jumping in with the suggestion. 

You've been your system for about 3 years with that Behringer pedal?  Was that a pretty intuitive addition to the system.  If I recall correct, you said you USB's that to your lapper as well at the DMXIS box and they pretty much started off talking to each other.  Did the Behringer automatically assign button parameters like you described or did you have to assign them?  I'm asking about the banks and the 1-10 for each bank thang.

Really appreciate the help Strat.  Are you in the Midwest too.  I'm in St. Lou.

• Members

Hi. I think you have the two of us confused.

I started using DMXIS in Dec, and was more than comfortable enough to use it for an NYE gig.

I use the FCB1010, I bought a USB to MIDI interface, a Roland one. I connected it to the foot pedal. Then in the preferences it let me choose the MIDI controller. After that I didn't have to program or edit anything on the FCB1010

It worked exactly as I described. First 10 scens = 10 pedals bank 00. The next 10, bank 01.

It was a really nice surprise. I'm no MIDI or light guy. So trying to make heads or tails between the Obey70 and the FCB1010 had me at my wits end. I was ready to sell the FCB1010 and buy the $400 Roland footpedal. I thought I'd give it a try with DMXIS on the off chance that it worked, and it did.

With the obey70, each fixture is 32 numbers apart, to work with the buttons.

With DMXIS you can have fixtures right beside each other if you want and have the room.

My intimidators are 4 channel so I have 4 of them in a row.

Intimidator #1

17-20

Intimidator #2

21-24

Intimidator #3

25-28

Intimidator #4

29-32

It's nice havig them in a row like that.

Ill take some video tonight illustrating how I have everything setup. It won't be until later though.

Yeah, plug in the behringer foot pedal and it just works.

:)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I don't know if you solved your initial issue or not but I can clear it up for you. When you start to run a chase it will run only that chase. When you press another chase to run it will then cycle through both chases until you deselect your first chase selection.

Hope that helps.

Archived