Question about DMX Terminators and Wireless DMX

drummer762

• Members

I understand that use of a DMX terminator is recommended at the end of the DMX chain, but was wondering if it is still recommended when using a wireless DMX system. More specifically, let's say someone has one transmitter and it's going to 3 receivers (front lighting on each side of stage and one for rear lighting). In this situation would using a total of 3 terminators be suggested, one for the end of each "branch" so to speak?

Thanks!

• Members

You must mean these...

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/9CD2D4CA-EA5B-47EC-8C6D-5C2FBA1F3342-565-00000043A9F4008F.jpg

I was playing with them tonight and got them all working. They are no names. They don't work off the fixtures power, they need their own power cord.

Not bad, but that means they are probably in line for an upgrade. No secondary power cord would be pretty slick. It just doesn't fit on the power through, but I do have an idea. A little teeny extender power cord. I think I have one, it was included with a set and its literally 4" long.

• Members

...but seeing as you did hijack the thread... :-)

I use a different wireless DMX, but had the same problem; the power pack for the receiver didn't fit into the power jack on the light fixture. Pop out the power jack and flip it around (just be careful not to break the plastic retaining clips). The wall wart should fit.

As to the terminators: They are "recommended" but in reality are probably not needed on small setups (only a few fixtures and somewhat short cable runs). These become important when you have a long transmission line like for concert venues and playhouses.

Archived