DMXis guys.

bigjd

• Members

Okay coming from a back ground of Freestyler,I'm trying to get my head around DMXis.

My question is how do you layer your presets, so you can have more than one running?

In FS, you create your scenes as many as you want for a preset the save it,say for example a set of wash scenes,then you can create a set of movers with as many steps as you want,name it and save it.Then you can create another preset say a blinder effect,save that.

Now you can trigger any of these presets over one or the other at any given time for effect while having say a base wash preset running,without affecting the running preset.

How does this happen with DMXis? Is the key in the channel masking feature? Explain it to me like I'm a 10yr old.

• Members

Yes, the channel masking is how you achieve this. Basically, the only values that will change with a "preset" change are the "unmasked" or "enabled" faders. Anything that is masked, will continue as it was.

For example, for my wash fixtures I have a series of presets of different colors. Everything is masked except for their RGBAW faders.

I also have a series of presets with everything masked except for the dimmers for these same fixtures. These have different patterns and chases.

Now, I can select a color and a chase. On cue, I can select a different color without affecting the chase pattern.

If I want to layer a mover on top of that wash sequence, I can. The mover presets have all of the wash faders masked off, so the washes won't be affected by changing my mover preset.

One of the problems I have with DMXis though, is that I cannot create a multi-step chase into a single preset. I

• Members

Mutha Goose wrote:

Yes, the channel masking is how you achieve this. Basically, the only values that will change with a "preset" change are the "unmasked" or "enabled" faders. Anything that is masked, will continue as it was.

For example, for my wash fixtures I have a series of presets of different colors. Everything is masked except for their RGBAW faders.

I also have a series of presets with everything masked except for the dimmers for these same fixtures. These have different patterns and chases.

Now, I can select a color and a chase. On cue, I can select a different color without affecting the chase pattern.

If I want to layer a mover on top of that wash sequence, I can. The mover presets have all of the wash faders masked off, so the washes won't be affected by changing my mover preset.

One of the problems I have with DMXis though, is that I cannot create a multi-step chase into a single preset. I

Okay so I have to write a preset with the channels masked then. I can't go and mask the preset channels then run a preset over it.

I realize al I have to do is use overwrite to mask a preset if thats the case.

• Members

Mutha Goose wrote:

Yeah, it isn't geared toward making changes on the fly like that. It is optimized and specialized for preprogrammed shows. This is why I've been looking at an alternative for busked shows.

Why are you looking to replace Freestyler?

Well I just needed a change I guess, I like fiddling around with that stuff. But it looks like I may use it still.

The whole tap tempo and beat detection in FS is really a great thing as well as the way you can layer and stack multiple scene/sequences. I wish the chase/oscillators where as easy to figure out as in DMXis those are it's strongest features.

I'll keep putzing around with DMXis till I get something I really like,but FS still has a lot more features.

Hey Goose your run into any of my brothers bands? Mello Bravo or Cult 45? Hope the snow ain't keepin ya down! 

Archived