Planning out scenes... what to do?

mstreck

• Members

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. If so, please point me to the appropriate post...

Our new lights should be here later this week, so I want to plan out how to start programming the controller (Obey 70). Fab5s for front lighting. Specifically on the back truss, we'll be using (2) American DJ Fusion FX Tri Bars, (1) Fusion FX Bar 3, (1) Fusion FX Bar 5 and 6 or 8 old-school par cans via dmx dimmer packs. I don't have scanners yet - hope to be able to be able to buy them in a couple of months. For now, we'll go with what we have.

What are basic scenes that we should have set up?

We play a w-i-d-e variety of music throughout the night - current pop/dance/80's/classic/modern rock. I figure we'll need the usual - full stage wash, blackout, audience blinders for sing-alongs, strobes to use in Enter Sandman, etc. But I'm not sure what else to do for the rest of the scenes. We'd like to have scenes appropriate for the type of music being played - DJ-style "club" lighting with lasers, etc,.for the current dance/pop stuff, more of a rock concert-type lighting for the rock stuff, etc. - and I have no idea where to begin. I could definitely use some suggestions for making the most of what we have.

Thank you!

Mike

• Members

Once you get your lights set up and you start playing, you will start getting lots of ideas.

Watch some live performance videos to see they do it. Then throw on some of tunes from your setlist and just play. You will fill in those slots faster than you think.

• Members

Thank you! I have my truss hanging up in the rehearsal room - adding the lights as they come in. Should be easy enough to do what you said. I think I'm more excited about making this happen than I am playing music! Haha!

Archived