Affordable hazer

mate_stubb

• Members

I have had good success with the Hurricane Haze 2 from Chauvet. And contrary to what some may say, it does not go through gallons of haze quickly. February will make 2 years since I purchased my unit. I am just about to crack open the third gallon of fluid. We played 67 shows last year; used haze probably 25 to 30 of those shows. Two other local bands have purchased the hazer based upon seeing it at our shows. It works perfect in DMX mode. My only issue has been the couple of times I used it with the manual controller I could not get the timer function to propertly work. Not a big deal to me since it's almost always in DMX mode.

If mine broke at the next show I would immediately purchase another one.

• Members

I am in the same position as the op. I would greatly appreciate it someone with more knowledge of hazers would chime in. After a week of searching the net i'm still unclear as to what even constitutes a "real" hazer. I would loke to spend under 500 and get the best bang for the buck, while leaving the least residue, making the least visible haze, and making the least odor or irritant. Looking at ADJ hazer, chauvet hurricane, and antari 300. Please help

• Members

Well here is what going up to a Radiance gets you. Back lights are MX-4 scanners and the rest were cheap ADJ LED cans, before I went to Q12a's. You don't see any haze except where the beams are, and beams even come from anemic LEDs. Can do about 100 shows on a gallon jug of fluid.

541902_3430335318972_1692762718_n.jpg
392945_3430354759458_2143389137_n.jpg

• Members

I'm only offering this for FYI purposes, if you have the money and expect to use the hazer often, please go by the above recommendations.

A cheap DIY alternative is to buy an Ultrasonic humidifier. You can create your own glycerine/distilled water mix. The glycerine can leave a slimy feel on surfaces.

Again, this is not a very professional, and probably not very durable solution. In my case it works because most places we play do not allow fog or haze. I couldn't justify a hazer purchase for use maybe twice a year. When it is used, it's hidden on stage.

• Members

I can't speak for all hazers, but I can tell you mine is pretty loud. I have a bunch of Blizzard Qs (6's and 12's) in my rig. You cannot hear them over the hazer. It doesn't matter for my application (can't be heard over a Marshall!) but if you are wanting to use one in a quiet environment, you will want to pipe the haze in. Remember, these work off of a compressor. Compressors are not known for their quietness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just an update for anyone interested. I decided on ADJ haze generator. Not nearly as noisy as led to believe, produces very fine haze, hangs well, fills room quickly, and has no taste or odor to me. If it lasts a few years ill feel it was $300 well spent. Time will tell

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Originally Posted by
Axisplayer
View Post
Well here is what going up to a Radiance gets you. Back lights are MX-4 scanners and the rest were cheap ADJ LED cans, before I went to Q12a's.

541902_3430335318972_1692762718_n.jpg
What model, and how much?

Axisplayer uses the Radiance hazer.  The MAP price is $ 1325.00

• Members

Robsco wrote:

Just an update for anyone interested. I decided on ADJ haze generator. Not nearly as noisy as led to believe, produces very fine haze, hangs well, fills room quickly, and has no taste or odor to me. If it lasts a few years ill feel it was $300 well spent. Time will tell

Been using that for over a year with no problems.  And doesn't burn through a ton of fluid as I was afraid it might.  Then again, we don't crank it up a lot either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

dcastar wrote:

We have a Chauvet Hurricane Haze2. Does the job quite well....

So I got my Hurricane Haze 2 today and fired it up for the first time. It poured out very visible columes of smoke, which hung in the air in curls. 

Not what I was expecting - I thought it would be essentially invisible except to light beams, and that dispensing it would not be so obvious. I'm concerned that bar patrons will see this and complain. 

Am I doing something wrong, or is that just how it works? I'm using the remote timer right now, with the volume turned all the way down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Haze 2D. Unfortuneately I received a lemon of a unit and just now was able to get a new one. But I will say that when the machine actually works it is great.

I generally use a hazer for indoor shows and a fogger for outdoors. My Hurricane 1300 has done pretty well on some big outdoor stages.

• Members

Sorry for re-opening old thread....quick question to you or the others who give the thumbs up to the Chauvet Hurricane Haze 2.

Did you guys buy the Hurricane Haze 2 or the 2D (digital version)?  Which would you recommend?

Just curious,  Considering buying one to elevate our small gigs lighting.  

Thanks!

---MIke

Archived