Front Lighting in small venues

hornplayer

• Members

All

I need some suggestions on mounting lights (spots) to light up performers from the front in small venues.

Many bars we play at are too small to allow us to set lighting stands downstage to light performers.

I was thinking about mounting lights on the top of the mid high speakers, but I am not aware of any lighting mounts that fit on speakers and can be put there safely.

Does anyone know of a light bar that can mount on the tops of speakers, be anchored there properly, and not have to worry about them comming off?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

John

• Members

heavy mic stand base + black PVC + O-Clamps + Colorstrip or similar

I cut the PVC into two lengths of about 30". Drilled a hole through at the mid-point and used a long bolt and some lock washers to fasten it to the mic stand base. These sit on top of my speaker stacks and have never budged...it's basically like setting a free weight disc that has rubber feet up there on a carpeted surface. It just doesn't move.

• Members

Depending on your brand/model of speakers, it can be quite easy.

Do they have fly points? If so, simply use that sized bold in an O Clamp. This will secure a length of 1.5" tubing securely to the top of the speaker then use other O Clamps to attach as many fixtures as you desire.

• Members

All

I need some suggestions on mounting lights (spots) to light up performers from the front in small venues.

Many bars we play at are too small to allow us to set lighting stands downstage to light performers.

I was thinking about mounting lights on the top of the mid high speakers, but I am not aware of any lighting mounts that fit on speakers and can be put there safely.

Does anyone know of a light bar that can mount on the tops of speakers, be anchored there properly, and not have to worry about them comming off?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

John

I don't have pictures, but I can get some this weekend, but what I did was bolt a plumbing flange to the top of my speakers, then I run a 2' piece of 1"pipe up to a T joint and run two 2' sections out from that - It makes a T with a 4' cross. It gets your front lights up nice and high. I put a ColorStrip and a couple of PAR38's on each side with Amber Bastard Gels. Worked really well.

• Members

Ultimate Support offers a slip flange. Basicly, a thin flat plate is screwed/bolted to the top of the speaker (flat is nice) and a plate slides into it and is secured with a set screw. The plate has a tube that will accept a 1.5" tube and once again, you're off and running.

• Members

I don't have pictures, but I can get some this weekend, but what I did was bolt a plumbing flange to the top of my speakers, then I run a 2' piece of 1"pipe up to a T joint and run two 2' sections out from that - It makes a T with a 4' cross. It gets your front lights up nice and high. I put a ColorStrip and a couple of PAR38's on each side with Amber Bastard Gels. Worked really well.

That is what is in my photo.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

BillESC wrote:

Ultimate Support offers a slip flange. Basicly, a thin flat plate is screwed/bolted to the top of the speaker (flat is nice) and a plate slides into it and is secured with a set screw. The plate has a tube that will accept a 1.5" tube and once again, you're off and running.

Any chance someone has a part number for this?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived