Lighting a band

• Members

I know this has been discussed at length and probably an ongoing thing. But this is to customize it a little for my situation.

Our band lighting is poor. 8 of those 86mm rgb pars. It is better than nothing, but not much. I plan to spend another $1500 max for now, and want to move up with the front lighting of the band. I am convinced after reading several posts, and looking at specs endlessly online, that I want to go with Blizzard. So another "best bang for the buck" question. What to choose? Keeping in the price range, do I go 4 of the q12 - 2/side? 6 of the q6 - 3 per side? Or the fab5 15w LEDs - again maybe 3 per side? And if a quad led, should I pick amber or white?

Edit: puck 3nx's was something I was looking at as well. But with all the different wattages, I don't want to be stuck with dim lights either (9x3watt, 7x15w, 12x10w). Ii can do the math and make some assumptions, but i would like to hear from experienced "eyes". Size and ease of setup is important too. What about the blizzard weather system? Is it worthwhile? I would like the smallest, but brightest lights I can get away with in my price range.

There is so much information everywhere. What is my best front lighting option with $1500 and assuming that it may be time before I add on or upgrade?

Thanks for your help guys. I know a few of you have answered similar questions a lot of times, so I appreciate your patience with us types!

• Members

Let me start by saying Bill has far more experience than me, so take my comments with that in mind...

The Fab5 is a very nice fixture and had an excellent color pallete. But if you are just looking for front lighting. the Q6A is an excellent choice. It has the amber you want, plus it will save you some money over the Fab5s. Both are quite bright (more than you should need) and they have the same beam angle. So the only thing you'd really be missing is the true white, and  I don't think you'd miss that for front lighting.

Archived