Moving Heads vs Scanners

• Members

Anyone have an opinion on the arguement of moving heads versus scanners?  I'm still looking at 4-8 units for a standard lighting rig (as I've stated before) for DJ and live sound use.  I've been set on the ADJ XMove LED 25R, but lately I've been thinking about something like the Inno Scan LED from ADJ...

The XMove LED 25R is more compact, cheaper, and more moveable, but not as bright... ($449 with a 25W CREE LED)

The Inno Scan LED is a bit more expensive, not as moveable, but brighter... ($499 with a 50W LED)

Anyone have some thoughts and opinions?  Or have any other suggestions?  I'd prefer to stick with American DJ, but if anyone has other possible options, let me know..

• Members

Moving heads look cooler, they have more space covered by the pan and tilt. However after doing this DJ thing a couple years I do know one thing, less to set up is crucial to set up time and effeciency. Like the last person stated scanners are easier and quicker to mount. I believe in the end probably less moving parts for a scanner vs a moving head.

I like one bolt option vs two bolts options (or two clamps). If setup is not a factor for you obviously moving heads are probably "cooler" in my opinion.

I am currently going to the mini moving heads as they are one clamp to mount to simplify setup time. For example I have two pin spots 360's and have two o clamps for each one which I could probably get by with 1 but those lights do move a quite a bit, so I'm changing from two 3 watt fixtures to two 7 x 10 W mini moving heads, so I'm going from a total of 6 watts to 140 watts, reducing 2 to 1 o clamp per fixture, brighter and better internal programs (sound active only)

Also I think your going to have to ask yourself what your preference is and what you want to do with them in the future and beyond.

• Members

If the scanners are brighter, then go with the scanners.  But....

The led moving heads are getting pretty light nowadays.  Flying movers are the chore that they once used to be.

Scanners are way more fragile.  I used to have to repair those damn things all the time.

And yes....movers look way more cool.

• Members

These are what I have, Martin Minimac Profile. I paid around this for them. They aren't LED, and there's no prism but I really like them. I would buy more but I already have 8 of them. They do have moving gobos and a 12-color color wheel.

Martin Mini-Mac Profile Automated Moving Spotlight Good Working order Bulb OK

http://bit.ly/XSkbjv

Archived