Band lights vs. DJ lights?

mstreck

• Members

Can you guys recommend lights that bands should focus on adding to their rig (or stay away from)?

We're just starting to put together a light rig for our band. Here's what we're thinking.

Top of truss:

(2) American DJ Fusion Tri FX Bar (already own one, will have another soon)

(1) American DJ Fusion FX Bar 2

Bottom of truss:

(8) Par Cans (already own - using dimmer packs)

(2) Chauvet Intimidator scanner(not sure which ones - 1.0? 2.0?)

(2) Blinders  (maybe, not sure if we need them)

Are we heading in the right direction? Thanks!

Mike

• Members

Here's one Fab5 on each side at a small gig. On sound random.

I did a gig last night with one each on each speaker. I had the left one do a slow fade from purple to blue and the right one with amber full and white fading from 60% to 0%.

Forgot to take video.

:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I did a gig last night with one each on each speaker. I had the left one do a slow fade from purple to blue and the right one with amber full and white fading from 60% to 0%.

Forgot to take video.

Hey, lot of light for only two lights! Where do you have them mounted? Basically one on the left (seems like the only one I can see) you just have it aimed at the band as a spot light? Also saw your demo on DMXIS, that looks pretty cool. I would like to look into that as an alternative to a hardware controller as I just run my stuff on auto. 

• Members

Hey, lot of light for only two lights! Where do you have them mounted? Basically one on the left (seems like the only one I can see) you just have it aimed at the band as a spot light? Also saw your demo on DMXIS, that looks pretty cool. I would like to look into that as an alternative to a hardware controller as I just run my stuff on auto.

-------------------------

The other light was on the other FOH stack as well. They were on random for that clip. The last gig I did the same thing, but I used DMXIS to control them.

The one side I had the light slowly fade from a purple to blue (raising and lowering the red level from 100% to 50%) then on the other side I had amber at 100% and faded the white between 50% and 0% it worked out really well, and made. A big difference from using nothing at all which we did for a long time. They would just dim the lights and that was it.

But yeah, lots if light for one Fab5 on each side.

• Members

Strat guy: Thank you for the info. I did some reading last night and the fab 5's are pretty cool that you can adjust for colors and intesity of the light as you did which can be very useful. I am trying to maximize get more light with less crap to setup. I have a american dj crank truss that I hate and refuse to use cause it's just a pain in the arse and I feel it's unstable and a liability, so would like to stick with a couple stands and a couple lights and roll with the show. Fab 5's get good reviews, are there any other lights in the blizzard famil you would reccomend? Also I saw some of them have batteries built in and saw a review they would get 14 hours of use, is that certain models only?  I like how they can be used for many applications such as uplighting as well.

• Members

My rear truss lights in my videos are 3NX's, they are non-battery. They are just an RGB fixture. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with all Fab5's for more of a color palette. They weren't announced when it was time to buy my back lights.

I know with the rechargeable ones, blizzard now sells a case that's set up to charge all the lights while in the case. There's a main power area and then pigtails for all the lights.

I'm not 100% familiar with their whole line, BillESC is the guy to talk to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Forgot to take video.

I ordered two Fab5's and was seriously questioning if two would be enough. I used one on each side last night - they were more than bright enough, but I may get two more just for better coverage. I'll know if we really need them in a couple of months after we play a rotation through our scheduled rooms.

• Members

The 3NX's are around $199 all over eBay. fab5's seem to be $250ish, I found 4 - Fab5's for $169 each.

I don't mind that the 3NX's are RGB since I use them for back lights/up lighting.

The Fab5's (RGBAW) are really good for lighting the band, as the amber and white allow for some natural looking lighting.

• Members

My suggestion of two per side was not so much for intensity but coverage and the ability to layer the stage in color.

I see one fixture from each side focused across the down stage mic line with the other pair further upstage hitting the drums/amp line. This gives you the ability to have the singers lit with a natural color (bastard amber) while the back half of the stage is blue or magenta or two colors (one from each side.

This will multiply the number of "looks" your fans see making your presentation more interesting.

----------------------------------

That's an awesome idea, I'll use 2 per side and point the other one at the backline/drums etc and see what I come up with!

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

This gives you the ability to have the singers lit with a natural color (bastard amber) while the back half of the stage is blue or magenta or two colors (one from each side.

----------------------------------

That's an awesome idea, I'll use 2 per side and point the other one at the backline/drums etc and see what I come up with!

Question: How are you doing this? With the controller or do you just lock a par on a set locked color with the fixure settings? 

• Members

I use a software controller, DMXIS. Each Fab5 will have its own address, Or I might pair them. Having the lights that shine on the drums/backline on the same address, and the lights on the band with the same address. Keeping it simple.

Archived