To backdrop or not to backdrop?

• Members

In my experience tai dai is about a 50/50 shot as to whether they will react to the lighting. Sometimes ones that you will think will be cool do nothing. Others surprise you.

In my opinion it just depends on what style of music the band is. For instance if I was doing an 80s hair metal band or harder rock I would probably like to have a black backdrop. I work for jam bands primarily. So many times I will just play off of what the room gives me. For instance if Im in a room with all white walls, I will do a lot of uplighting and shoot projections on the walls. It all just depends on what vibe you are trying to give off.

• Members

We do mostly Classic Rock, a mix of Country and Blues as well, ranging from the 60s to today, I want something that will look proffessional for the first part, and help clean up the wall behind us. I thought black at first, but im usually a fan of being a bit diffrent then the others.

This is a photo from last weekend, and i can tell how much a backdrop will help.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=512125717091&l=29d894d24f

Just looking for something that will accomplish it all.

• Members

Very interesting topic...

Before I got my movers, I used to hang a back drop from the rear truss bar. However, now that I have the movers on the truss, I this is no longer an option (back drop and movers interfere with each other).

I've thought about hanging something off the back of the truss, like an extender of some sort to get the backdrop a few inches further back... I've also though about using a cheap pair of plastic light stands to hang the backdrop on... I don't really like either of these ideas.

Hey goose, I have the same issue. I'm thinking of this.

These are the typical clamps I use...

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/AAA6F652-20CC-4D19-B787-8AB4638346C0-9855-0000099ECFE88D31.jpg

I'm thinking of making a little extender piece. Flat bar with a hold to go on the end. I'll use a bold instead of the wing nut. Then on the other end, I'll also have a hole with a bolt that will extend through.

The eyelets will fit on the other bolt. A bend or 2 might be required, but no problem since I work in a metal shop with a hydraulic cutting shear, hydraulic press etc. maybe make them out of aluminum.

• Members

Thats pretty cool. You can find all kinds of stuff out there on Craigslist and just general dumpster diving. I remember years ago my buddy and I snagged a huge black backdrop from a school that was being torn down.

If you want to be different the possibilities are endless with stuff you can do. The primary band I work for uses ficus plants and plants in general to dress up their stage. I can show you pictures of it when I get home from work. Its pretty cool. Just keep trying new things until you find something you like.

• Members

Backdrops are also useful for gigs that are outdoors with the scenery behind you (no wall). What if each band member puts up their personal single-stand backdrop? They could coordinate or put up something according to their mood that day. Comments on this setup vs a single truss backdrop?

• Members

Here's the idea we've come up with. I'll use thicker metal. Some welding, good to go. This isn't the metal, but just the idea. The grommets on the backdrop won't be cranked right over. I'll measure the distance I need. Clamps are $6 each. The extra metal and welding I can get done at work.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/202AA5DC-5920-4051-AB79-7EDBE6E98D9A-2694-0000022B12401D2F.jpg

Archived