Which way should I go ? My dmx 2.0 or Freestyler

djr

• Members

thinking about going computer light controller ,should I go My dmx2.0 from ADJ or get a dongle and go freestyler , what are the pros and cons of each and which is easier to use please

Thanks

Danny

• Members

I can't compare because I only use Freestyler. My advice is to focus your energy on learning the hell outta' whichever one you choose and keep practicing moving creative ideas from your head to software to stage.

Freestyler doesn't cost anything, but it's pretty deep. So regardless of which software/USB>DMX combo you pick, the learning curve for controlling lights with computer is still there and it's no small thing. Choosing the software is a little bit like finding the narrowest part of the creek to jump over on you way to swimming across the ocean.

BTW - when I realized I wanted a *dedicated* laptop that did nothing but run my lights, I put out a Facebook post asking my friends if they had free/cheap old XP laptops. I got offered seven free laptops in about two hours! The one I got was wiped with a fresh XP install. I connected to internet and updated Windows, installed Freestyler, then shut off wireless. With this and the Enttec Pro, my setup has been rock-solid for over a year.

• Members

I use Freestyler. Been looking at DMXis,but some of the functions I like in FS aren't there.My DMX is pretty easy from what I understand.

There's lots of options out there,choosing one is tough. As Chicken said above they all have a learning curve. Pick and choose the features you want and learn it.

I use FS because it's free,tons of support,the interface is very affordable,and I've got a way to run it on a Mac. Been using it on a dedicated laptop for 7yrs now without any problems.

• Members

Most interfaces only work with the software intended for them. Thats why I used FS,its an freeware that can use alot of different interfaces.

The Enntec open interface is about 60.00.

Goose nailed it too, you dont know what ya got till you get all the way through it, for sure.

• Members

I use my iPad as a light controller using DMXis as a plug-in in Ableton Live. Using TouchOsc on the iPad, I can create custom interfaces to busk the show. Here is an example of someone else doing this:

FYI...

Ironically, the video n this post cannot be viewed on an iPad as it requires Flash...

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I am a lighting installer. I have found the Enttec dongles to be the most trouble free.  If you only are playing around with it then the open source DMX dongle is fine (less than $100) If it is in a production environment spend the extra money (costs around $200 or less) and get the "Pro" USB to DMX dongle.

Archived