Show Your DMXIS Systems (videos, setups etc...)

• Members

I'm starting this thread so anyone that is using this promising software could
post their specific setup, light fixtures, troubleshooting etc...and probably
help each other with any specific situation, tips etc...

It would be great if anyone from ENTTEC could stop by and see this as prime feedback from the end users.

I know dbrown the writer of DMXIS is in this forum as well.

I will be getting mine shortly and
can't hardly wait to have my long term dream of synced lights a reality.

thanks,
Charles

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am on the edge with this too. I just got my first lighting system, based on soundlight's guide. (Thanks soundlight) 2 4-Bars, 2 LEDsplash200bs, 1 colorDash Batten and an Obey 70.

While I managed to get everything working, the Obey 70 is a PITA and very clunky after getting used to computers for audio and video.

I am all Mac so DMXIS seems like it would be a good solution, and I would be very interested to hear some detail from anyone using it.

Thanks,
KaZaK

• Members

Hi

there are plenty of options available out there
I have tried or look at them and none moved me.

DMXIS seems to fill that void for us Mac users.
Simplicity for someone with his first light system and
the convenience of having the ability to sync to my backup tracks on Logic
That's the WINNER right there for me.

PLEASE!!
let's try to keep this thread DMXIS ONLY
you can bring other options for comparison purposes etc...
but let's try to keep it as DMXIS as possible.

thanks,
Charles

• Members

I'm interested to see if anyone tries this with an iBook G4. That is the laptop that I have setup specifically for live shows. I use Garageband and ProTools and would like to see if it is usable on this older Mac. I can use my MacBook Pro but I'd rather not as the iBook G4 (1 Ghz - 1.12 GB RAM) is a perfect fit for what it is doing now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow View Post
I'm interested to see if anyone tries this with an iBook G4. That is the laptop that I have setup specifically for live shows. I use Garageband and ProTools and would like to see if it is usable on this older Mac. I can use my MacBook Pro but I'd rather not as the iBook G4 (1 Ghz - 1.12 GB RAM) is a perfect fit for what it is doing now.

I don't know why it shouldn't work
I think it will be wise to go to ENTTEC's website
and look for the minimum requirements of DMXIS.

Shoot them an email as they reply quite fast. thumb.gif

have a great weekend
Charles

• Members
Minimum requirements are a G5 processor so it will run on a PPC but not on a PPC laptop. I'll try emailing.
Officially we can't support DMXIS performance related problems if you're running on a machine below the minimum spec.

However, DMXIS will run on a G4 laptop. How well it runs depends on many factors, one of which is the machine spec. If you have a well optimised machine, a simple light show and GarageBand is not already sucking the life out of your G4, then it might work OK.

It's up to you whether you want to take the chance. To help you decide, you can download the full retail version of DMXIS from enttec.com, and try it with your own setup. It obviously won't transmit any DMX without the hardware, but you will get a good feel for the performance. If your machine is not up to the job, you will know instantly, because the whole thing (including your audio) will start to behave badly.

Hope that helps!

Dave.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
Officially we can't support DMXIS performance related problems if you're running on a machine below the minimum spec.

However, DMXIS will run on a G4 laptop. How well it runs depends on many factors, one of which is the machine spec. If you have a well optimised machine, a simple light show and GarageBand is not already sucking the life out of your G4, then it might work OK.

It's up to you whether you want to take the chance. To help you decide, you can download the full retail version of DMXIS from enttec.com, and try it with your own setup. It obviously won't transmit any DMX without the hardware, but you will get a good feel for the performance. If your machine is not up to the job, you will know instantly, because the whole thing (including your audio) will start to behave badly.

Hope that helps!

Dave.
Eventually I'll be moving my band rig up to my Macbook Pro. Right now I'm sticking with the G4. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I would forego the Garageband and Pro Tools if this works well with the G4. The other stuff is just filler and an occasional keyboard sound. Lights are more important to the show. Thanks for the reply. Good idea to do it here because others might have the same questions.

• Members

As info - I opened a ticket with Enttec for a fixture profile to be created, and received the profile by e-mail in less than 24 hours. Great customer service. Well done, considering that one of my concerns with DMXIS was that relatively few fixture profiles were in the library. thumb.gif

I'll be testing the software on my rig over the weekend - more info to come.

• Members

So, I could not sleep last night, got up at 3:30 and decided to order DMXIS. I had downloaded 1.02 and the latest library, and I noticed that my 4Bars and colorDash Batten were not on the list. At 4:30 this morning I emailed Dave Brown to ask him about when he could get them done, and went back to bed. When I got up at 8:30 Dave had emailed me back with a link to the updated library. Now thats what I call support! Really looking forward to doing some videos with this!

• Members

DMXIS Rules! Totally cool piece of software, works exactly as described. Very, very easy to use, beats the hell out of my controller, and thats a fact. Will post some video when I get my sh#t together. Dave, you da Man!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post
I just hope they do expand this software with a visualizer.
There's no visualizer with DMXIS because we want to keep the price low smile.gif

However, you can use ANY visualizer with DMXIS. For example, Sunlite's "Magic 3D" would work just fine. Simply plug the output of the DMXIS box into the input of the Sunlite box, and off you go.

Doing it this way has some real benefits. First, you are visualizing the real data leaving the DMXIS hardware, which is a much better test of your show than an "internal" visualizer displaying what it thinks should be leaving the hardware.

Second, it lets you run the visualizer on a separate computer, so you don't increase the CPU load of your main show machine.

Dave.

• Members

Any videos yet? I'm really on the fence on this. I tried the software and it is fine on my iBook G4 and I'd like to give it a try. I know I will be upgrading my iBook at some point and not using and powering the SCX101 would be cool. Anyone care to push me over the edge on this? How good is the dmxis?

• Members
Any videos yet? I'm really on the fence on this. I tried the software and it is fine on my iBook G4 and I'd like to give it a try. I know I will be upgrading my iBook at some point and not using and powering the SCX101 would be cool. Anyone care to push me over the edge on this? How good is the dmxis?

All you have to think is that you can finally have synced lights for your shows.
that's what sold me

now go ahead and buy it.....icon_lol.gif

cheers,
C

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post
All you have to think is that you can finally have synced lights for your shows.
that's what sold me

now go ahead and buy it.....icon_lol.gif

cheers,
C
I already have synced lights (through a 16 channel foot controller). It would be nice not to have to run power out to the front for the controller. It would also be nice not to have on 16 channels. I wish I knew someone that could test it with an iBook G4. It will probably be a year or so before I upgrade the laptop and I'd like to know if it would be usable or not.

That's the problem, I have a system that works but is not as capable as the dmxis. I already have the iBook at every show. I can spend this money on another fixture or a banner if the iBook can't handle it. Does the dmxis software have to be the front app to send signals to the controller? Can the dmxis run if, for example, iTunes is the front app?

• Members
Does the dmxis software have to be the front app to send signals to the controller?
No.

Can the dmxis run if, for example, iTunes is the front app?
Yes. Just start the DMXIS app, minimise it, and start iTunes. Then you can control the light show from your footswitch or MIDI controller while iTunes plays "in front".

Dave

Archived