Its time to buy DMX control

• Members

Ok, So ive read alot about DMXIS here, and Freestyler. I want something simple something Im a bass player ( no pun intended) So i want something simple as im already running sound from stage and playing, id like something i can filter through the scenes easily with my feet. Its a pretty simple rig, with 4 Chauvet Color Palettes,, and a Chauvet 4 Play at the moment, thinking of adding a pair of mini kintas or a swarm 4 to put on our drummer, but simple yet makes us look good. What would be easier to run from stage? DMXIS or Freestyler? Honestly the way we used to use DMX was with 4 dimmer packs, and 32 par 38s paired with a Chauvet Stage Designer 50 or a American Dj stage Setter 8 depending on what kind of event i was doing. With the Stage designer i used the mic input and keyed it off the kick to control the designed scenes, too flashy flashy for what im looking to do, I just want more control. A lot of my friends in other local bands are using The DMX dongle and Freestyler, so ive got support there, but what might be better in my case?

• Members

From the stuff I have looked at, DMXIS looks to be the easiest to run from the stage. But I am not really familiar with either program so take that for what it is worth.

My suggestion would be to just pay one of your buddies a couple of beers to run the board for you.

• Members

I use DMXIS and a Behringer FCB1010 to control it from the stage while playing. I set up scenes before hand and then choose the different scenes from the foot pedal. One volume pedal controls dimmer for the lights on the band, and the other controls the smoke machine.

• Members

My feet are relatively free on stage other then wandering from my mic stand on occasion, but how hard is that to configure? I know a close buddy of mine uses an old mouse with the ball taken out with freestlyer. I like the idea to be able to dim from a foot pedal. Id like to still enjoy myself on stage, and not worry as much about the next queue, so foot control is a huge deal if I can have it.

• Members

Depending on how you want to run it.

Out of the box it works like this.

Make a list of 100 scenes.

Bank 0, 1 - 10 = the first 10 on the list.

Bank 1, 1 - 10 = the next 10 on the list

Etc.

Then, I assign the first volume pedal to the dimmer for the lights on the band. The other volume pedal is assigned to the smoke machine.

You can also set it up so different buttons go to different banks on DMXIS but I didn't bother.

• Members

@ Nusouth yeah if all the person is doing is running the board. That is the easy part. Set up, tear down, travel, accomodations, and programming is where most of the cost is figured in.

Now if Almostthere wants to pay someone like myself to come in and do all that then more power to him. But it is pretty obivious he likes to be hands on and do that stuff himself. Or at least doesnt trust someone else to do it right....lol.

• Members

Oh i trust 100000 percent :) I just love learning new things!  and hey if i can then sell myself out on nights im off to run lights for other bands that need to in the area all the better :) Any way i can make money im all for it. I was wondering if it was midi. I know enough about midi to make me dangerous, but My father and I dabble alot, he knows alot more about midi then i do, and can probally help me get that setup, Basically im going to set up a bunch of washes and such, and want to cycle through them, like if its an intense part go to red and orange or something, and a balad be able to dim them down a bit here and there when its just the vocalist and his guitar. It really sounds to me that if i go with DMXIS ill get more control then what freestyler will give me? I pretty much run the show, the PA and Lights all belong to me, so if it simpliys setup too that would be amazing! Im the one that sets 90 percent of the stuff up as it is, seting up the full light show and PA, so i dont want to tack too much extra setup time on to what i already have.

• Members

haha right! Money made that's almost as rare as a unicorn, I always find something else I need. Yea its a lot going on, so if I can put my feet to work bring it on :) I think I like the stability of DMXIS, and I can always employ the 3 payment plan from Sweetwater to get it early :) and have to save for the foot control, but ultimately its sounding a lot better, that and I can bug people here about DMXIS if I can't get it running :)

• Members

I am also a simple bass player running lights and sound from stage. Our setup is 2 minikintas, 4 4bar minis, a few blinder halogens, and a couple of halogen lights with bastard amber gels on 'em for front lighting. I control the show with my GT-10B since it sends midi signals via USB to the computer running the show. I use the Enttec Pro DMX interface. I used to use FreeStyler and it was okay. I have since converted to QLC, another free controller and I much prefer programming it to FreeStyler. I use Midiox and a midi loopback driver on the laptop to filter/modify the GT10B program change messages into note on/off signals to drive FS or QLC. In practice it is a very simple configuration to operate even if you are singing and playing the bass too.

I set up the GT10B so that each bank is a color scheme and each of the 4 patches per bank determine if the the minikintas are on/moving, blinders are flashing, etc. The CTL pedals are used to independently fade front/rear lighting in/out. The volume pedal is used to change the duration of fade/hold times for scenes. I have two external CTL pedals used to trigger blackout and full blind.

Archived