two gigs this weekend with a ton of new gear

• Members

We're playing our favorite bar on Friday and a wedding on Saturday this weekend.  We will be popping the cherry on four Blizzard Torrent F3s and a Chauvet Hurricane Haze 2d, as well as using the 16 Blizzard Puck RGBAs for only the second time. 

I'm a little nervous bringing this much new gear to a gig without a chance for a trial run in a garage somewhere, but one of the great features of Blizzard's Eclipse software is the included visualizer so I can program in my pajamas.  I have one day left to program, which isn't enough, but I'll have something done for Friday.

I also just received a 4' by 8' banner/backdrop that will be unveiled on Friday night.

Big weekend!

I'll take pictures if I have time.

• Members

Good luck! New gear is always exciting and nerve racking.

Im always freaking out in unfamiliar situations and the drummer in the band I work for always has good advice for me. He tells me just to relax and keep it simple. Master the simple things first and then you will have something to build on.

That being said take some pics and video. It better be freaking awesome!! :)

• Members

UGH!

It looks like i counted my chickens before they hatched...

To mount the Torrents to my truss I ordered 8 of the Blizzard Klamp Omega brackets.  The brackets don't work with Torrents I guess.  They line up and fit alright, but the pins in the omega brackets don't tighten to the fixture at all... I'm not hanging a $1000 light 10 feet off the stage from a bracket that I could shake out of the fixture with one hand.

I'm a little disappointed since I bought Blizzard lights and Blizzard clamps... I kind of expected them to be compatible.  However, Blizzard's customer service has been first-rate from everyone I have dealt with, so I'm sure this will be sorted out quickly.

I'll still try to take pics, they just won't have the Torrents in them... boo.

• Members

I might be in a slightly different situation than most of you guys...

I'm the drummer in an 8-piece bar band with a 4-piece horn section.  The stage we're playing tomorrow is about 9 feet deep and maybe 14 feet wide.  The "drum riser" is barely big enough for my kit, let alone any kind of lighting.  This bar gets pretty wild and it's not uncommon for a drunk patron to find his or her way on stage briefly.  I don't feel comfortable putting an expensive piece of my rig on the stage where it could get kicked over by either a band member or a random stage crasher.

I'd rather wait to have the right hardware to put my fixtures in a safe place than rush to use them and have one or more get destroyed.  Everybody said the same thing at rehearsal tonight... "let's just set them on the stage somewhere!!".  Not happening.  It's easy to assume that kind of risk when it's not your money on stage.  If it was a bigger stage, or we were a four piece band, I'd find room for them, but not tomorrow...  And the gig on Saturday won't allow any haze, so the movers would be pretty pointless anyway.

We have more gigs next weekend, so I won't have to wait long to use the Torrents, plus it gives me another week to program in Eclipse.

• Members

I failed and only got one pic, mainly of the banner.

apparently the GM of this bar HATES fog or haze of any kind.  We used the hazer very sparingly, resulting in essentially no effect at all.  They were running a couple of large fans to keep the place cool, so the haze was just getting blown out of the room...

NEXT weekend...  fingers crossed.. we'll have the Torrents running and we'll haze the crap out of the room we're playing.

a

Archived