DMX cables - what else to know?

Miko Man

• Members

I'm just entering the LED lighting world with some Blizzard Fab 5 fixtures. I will probably get an Obey 40 controller as an entry-level board. I know to run a DMX terminator at the last fixture, and that DMX signal needs to be daisy-chained (unless you have a DMX splitter).

I plan on buying purpose-built DMX cables. Besides the impedence difference from mic cables, and five-pin vs three-pin connector issues, what else do I need to know? Blizzard warns against connector to shield bonding on their wickicle-ready fixtures; I can double check cable with a DDM to avoid that problem. What else do I need to know about DMX cables? Any brands or sources to avoid in particular? (I already know that cheap stuff is often a poor value, but are there particular "gotcha" things to be aware of?)

Thanks. Mark C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

nchangin wrote:

Expensive @#% #$3#$
^ cables.

I bought dmx cables with black ends, then I make sure keep mic cords with silver ends so they don't get mixed up.

I do something similar - I wrap a band of colored duct tape on the dmx cables so that they don't get mixed up with mic cables.

• Members

Nice!! I sacrificed a 50' XLR cable to make A bunch of 2' light cables. I have since bought a 50' proper DMXIS cable that will be sacrificed once I find the time! I put about 2" of red heat shrink on the male end for DMX, and slowly putting blue on the rest, just as an identifier as being mine.

Archived