No announcement yet.

DMX cables - what else to know?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMX cables - what else to know?

I'm just entering the LED lighting world with some Blizzard Fab 5 fixtures. I will probably get an Obey 40 controller as an entry-level board. I know to run a DMX terminator at the last fixture, and that DMX signal needs to be daisy-chained (unless you have a DMX splitter).

I plan on buying purpose-built DMX cables. Besides the impedence difference from mic cables, and five-pin vs three-pin connector issues, what else do I need to know? Blizzard warns against connector to shield bonding on their wickicle-ready fixtures; I can double check cable with a DDM to avoid that problem. What else do I need to know about DMX cables? Any brands or sources to avoid in particular? (I already know that cheap stuff is often a poor value, but are there particular "gotcha" things to be aware of?)

Thanks. Mark C.
    "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

Nope, not really. Sounds like you have the facts.

Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

• Miko Man
      Miko Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Moe. I'm trying to avoid the noob mistakes, especially when spending my own money on my own gear. Mark C.

Expensive @#% #$3#$ #$^#$^@#$^ cables.

I bought dmx cables with black ends, then I make sure keep mic cords with silver ends so they don't get mixed up.

Comment

• mate_stubb
      mate_stubb commented
      Editing a comment

nchangin wrote:

Expensive @#% #$3#$ #$^#$^@#$^ cables.

I bought dmx cables with black ends, then I make sure keep mic cords with silver ends so they don't get mixed up.

I do something similar - I wrap a band of colored duct tape on the dmx cables so that they don't get mixed up with mic cables.

Colored heat shrink.
    PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

• Miko Man
      Miko Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Black connector bodies with "white" colored ring for DMX; silver bodies and green rings for audio, for me. My gear is "branded" with green tape/paint/heat shrink. Mark C.

Nice!! I sacrificed a 50' XLR cable to make A bunch of 2' light cables. I have since bought a 50' proper DMXIS cable that will be sacrificed once I find the time! I put about 2" of red heat shrink on the male end for DMX, and slowly putting blue on the rest, just as an identifier as being mine.
    PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

Working...
    X