Wireless DMX

Robsco

• Members

Has anybody tried the generic wireless that looks like an xlr connector with small antennae? I can get one transmitter and four receivers for not much more than one unit from blizzard. Of course if they dont work its just money wasted.

• Members

You must mean these...

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/9CD2D4CA-EA5B-47EC-8C6D-5C2FBA1F3342-565-00000043A9F4008F.jpg

I was playing with them tonight and got them all working. They are no names. They don't work off the fixtures power, they need their own power cord.

Not bad, but that means they are probably in line for an upgrade. No secondary power cord would be pretty slick. It just doesn't fit on the power through, but I do have an idea. A little teeny extender power cord. I think I have one, it was included with a set and its literally 4" long.

I had the transmitter hooked into the DMXIS hardware, and the 3 receivers hooked into seperate Fab5's. took a bit if fiddling but I did get them all to work.

• Members

I got four receivers and one transmitter off eBay for 225 dollars. Seem to be an exact copy of blizzard units or possibly same manufacturer. Mine also self power from blizzard 3nx and fab 5 Very pleased with them, hope they last

• Members

Don't know how to post link but you can search ebay for "wireless dmx" and then look for sunshine store 2011 as seller name. They also have free shipping and i got mine from china to virginia in 7 days. The postal service could learn a thing or two from studying their shipping

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

It's been a few months, so I'm curious - how are the Chinse wireless dmx units performing? I know someone (dcastar?) had a problem with them - did it ever get resolved? If you had to do it again, would you guys buy the same units, or something else?

• Members

That was me with the issues. Up lighting in a gym for a local prom. One side worked, one side didn't, it was on random. . It was a really important gig and I couldn't take a chance on being able to figure out the problem in time, so I did a 6 hour roubs trip, and rented 600' of XLR cable to do the job.

Ran the cable to the working side, everything was fine. Ran cable to the other side, STILL wonky and out of control. So I started from square one. Unolugged all the XLR cables. Set everything to a red to pink slow fade.

Plugged in the first one: red to pink = good.

Plugged in the second one: red to pink = good

Plugged in th third one, everything went crazy

Changed out the cord and plugged it in again:

Red to pink.

Turns out I had a bad cable. But it was a judgement call. When I was in the city I also picked up another dozen up lights so it all kinda worked out in the end.

I've used the wireless DMX since and it's been good.

It was my first time doing the prom, I had given myself an extra day for setup. It was late on. The night before the night before. I had to leave since they were closing the venue for the night. So it was a judgement call and I couldn't take the chance on not being able to fix it. I had the time to run to the city and back so off I went.

As a result, everything went off without a hitch. It was in our local arena. My only regret was not buying an extra 6 up lights, then I would have had the whole gym covered.

Archived