Super cheap lighting

RoadRanger

• Members

A friend of mine was just asking me about some cheap static lighting for an open mic he does. I've used clamp worklights and colored bulbs before. Lowes has the clamp worklights for $7.63 and colored CFL bulbs for $5-6.

OTOH I've got some cheap Chinese stuff coming in - some more $20 10w 120 degree floods (yellow and RGB), a couple $15 100mw RG lasers, a couple $10 3w RGB rotating lights, and a $19 LED pinspot I'd like to set up as a followspot. All for dingy bar gigs - brightness not needed biggrin.gif.

• Members

Josh Angel wrote:

This was lit entirely by colored CFL's in 5-arm floor lamps. :-)

Interesting - how many of those fixtures do you own? How do you safely transport them? Also at the same event:

http://joshuadancer79.wix.com/dj-josh-angel#!GODS-Weekend-2013JPG/zoom/c199t/image7us

How did you do the color change? Do you run around the room changing bulb colors all night or ? wink.gif

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

OTOH I've got some cheap Chinese stuff coming in - some more $20 10w 120 degree floods (yellow and RGB), a couple $15 100mw RG lasers, a couple $10 3w RGB rotating lights, and a $19 LED pinspot I'd like to set up as a followspot. All for dingy bar gigs - brightness not needed
biggrin.gif

You know what? A little off topic, but I decided since I have a ton of Chauvet lighting that I know is excellent and highly reliable, I am going to take a chance on some Chinese lights, moving heads, RGBAW fixed pick-like fixtures, etc.

Even if they aren't very good and the "You get what you pay for!" rule kicks in, I am not marrying my entire band's show to the Chinese lights, because I have more than enough stationary Chauvet fixtures (2 of the 4Bar Tri's, two of the COLORPallete's, and one Chauvet Eclipse RGB, which is a nice effect.)

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

I've got some cheap Chinese stuff coming in - [...] a couple $10 3w RGB rotating lights.

One of these came in and it is surprisingly bright and interesting!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281129525901

It seems a bit fragile but survived being mailed in it's original flimsy box in a plastic mailing bag. Unfortunately it came with a two prong European plug and a big-arse two prong Edison to three(freak.gif) prong European adapter but it is usable. The ad did mention the plug so my bad and kudos to them for including the adapter. The othe one I ordered was from a different vendor and shows a US plug - we'll see when it arrives. The three colors don't "rotate" on the same axis (like most moonflowers) so interplay nicely and the red patterns are different from the green and blue (and all much sharper than in the photo). Probably only good to spice up the dance floor close up and then only if the lighting is down - but I can see the projection on the wall in my somewhat dim living room in daylight 12 feet away no prob. A pair on these on the mains aimed down should be a good show for the .

Archived