No name Chinese stuff is good until it doesn't work.

• Members

Cheap chinese stuff is cheap.

Blizzard Wicicles = $150 each.

1 transmitter & 3 receivers: $600

Chinese knockoffs:

1 transmitter & 3 receivers: $150

Having issues with them and can't take a chance for Satutdays Prom. So tomorrow, I'm getting up at 6am, for a 3 hour drive to pick up 300' of DMX cable to do the job. I figure ill get the actual Blizzard Wicicles soon enough, but u should have bought them in the first place.

Cheap stuff is great when it works, not so great when it doesn't. Aged always talks about robustness, and dependability. I gambled and lost. So tomorrow I'm doing a 7 hour round trip to grab what I need.

Thankfully since its my first grad ceremony, I gave self an extra day for setup. That's giving me the time to pop to the city tomorrow.

Live and learn peeps. Let that be a lesson to you all. When the chips are down, knowing your gear isn't going to let you down is priceless. I'm usually that guy. That guy with his {censored} together, never having anything go down, decent quality gear.

I figure ill keep the 300' of DMX cable as backup once I get some legit Wicicles.

• Members

True enough. I remember the wicicle video with the car driving away.

The cost if the trip, the DMX cable and my time would have covered the wicicle cost.

Expensive lesson is right. Hopefully others get a cheap lesson out of all this.

;)

• Members

Picked up 600' of XLR cable (rental). Only ended up using 500' but I'd rather have extra than not enough. Also picked up a Chauvet optical DMX splitter.

I also ended up buying a dozen more lights, a set of Microh LED Slim P7 Tri's for $100 each. Great condition, right place right time. This allows me to add 6 more up lights per side than I had. RGB but for uplifting they will work well!

http://microhpro.com/ledslimp7p12tri.html

Here's a quick video. Missing are 4 more up lights, I have to whip up some DMX cables. I bought 2 - 50 footers to sacrifice. ;)

• Members

They were $200 new. I'm not sure where I seen that price. Just a touch smaller than the Blizzards, but a cube instead of an L like the blizzards. No fan, the brackets are REALLY solid, unlike the blizzards.

Here's another video.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

They were $200 new. I'm not sure where I seen that price. Just a touch smaller than the Blizzards, but a cube instead of an L like the blizzards. No fan, the brackets are REALLY solid, unlike the blizzards.

Here's another video.

Sounds awesome StratGuy. My band is playing a show this afternoon, so I don't have time to now, but I will definitely get into looking up and reading about these lights after the weekend. Best of luck with the new lights!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Greetings! I may be wrong, but it seems to me that almost ALL the lighting-related products offered by the 'major' American companies comes from China. In many cases, all these companies do is put their logo on the same no-name product.

• Members

True enough. For every company making product for Chauvet, (for instance) there's 50 other factories making copies.

My issue turned out to be a cable problem, once I took the time to troubleshoot it. At the time I couldn't take the chance so I made the 6 hour round trip to pick up the extra XLR cable and a dozen more lights.

:)

• Members

andyburr wrote:

Greetings! I may be wrong, but it seems to me that almost ALL the lighting-related products offered by the 'major' American companies comes from China. In many cases, all these companies do is put their logo on the same no-name product.

Yes if you get the "right" one, when you have many vendors to choose from you simply just don't know for sure if it's the same product.

Archived