Options in moving fixtures. (considering scanners, too)

BlueGreene

• Members

I'm looking into investing in some moving lights (2 to start). Anything can be on the table. But, I've found the scanner types to be a little twitchy for my tastes. Some friends of mine use Martin Mac 250s and they're pretty bad ass, though hard on the $$$. You get what you pay for and I get that. 

I'm looking at the Martin minimac profiles (if I can find them). What manufactures produce similar products that I should be considering? I'm ultimately looking for a fixture that can have rotating split beams and smooth movement. Gobos aren't necessary. Most of the time, they will be pointing at the crowd DJ style (so lasers are pretty much out). Zero interest in moving wash lights. 

Another thing to mention, I'm also pretty much set on moving to a studiolive and do away with FOH. Are there any descent options for wireless control of the lights? 

• Members

I like my Martin Minimacs. Keep an eye on eBay, they run from $350 - $500 each. With my set up, I also use intimidator spot duos. They have a 6 degree beam vs 25 degree on the Minimacs. $500ish each bit you get 2 heads per fixture. Nonmoving gobos and colorwheel. 10W LED per head.

Here's a pic, Minimacs on the bottom of the truss, spot duos on the top:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/8C5885B9-3618-4B8C-963A-B01B8062A6B8-1437-000000F402F040E1_zps4450c660.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/C94580A5-7003-41AF-AD3A-1586E33D6347-1437-000000F41E1FBF1B_zpsa00785b5.jpg

I don't know where you are. These are local pickup. $999. Offer $800.

http://bit.ly/1cZqB5y

• Members

I second the Intimidator Spot LED 350s.  Great mover for the money.  Should be able to get them for about $850/ea if you shop around.  If you get at least 4, you should be able to get an even lower price, especially if you're in good with a Chauvet dealer.  They've got great gobos and a 3-facet prism that lets you split the beam 3 ways.  You can swap out the gobos easily if you don't like the stock ones, but they are pretty great gobos.  They do have a manual zoom lens in the front from 12-17 degrees, which really gives you options depending on the size room you're in.  For a smaller room, zoom it out to give you a wider beam, or for a larger room zoom it down to 12 degrees to give a narrower beam that's brighter.  These fixtures should be about as bright as your friends' MAC250s, but they use a 75W LED and you won't have to pay $100 a lamp like they do as the LED lasts for tens of thousands of hours.  I think it's 50,000 hours, which is the same as the life of more than 16 MSD250/2 lamps, more than most people will go through in the life of their discharge movers.

If you're looking for more of a beam type fixture, look at the Intimidator Beam LED 350.  This thing is BRIGHT for its size.  Same 75 watt LED as in the Intimidator Spot LED 350, but much more concentrated beam.  If you want a true split beam effect, check out this thing.  See this video for a good show of what they can do - much better than the Chauvet demo video.  The 3-facet prism gives 3 individual beams that rotate.  The 3-facet prism comes in at 0:35 in the video.  These fixtures won't give you any wide gobo looks, but for beams they are fantastic.  They have fewer and less interesting gobos, and they won't be as crisp because it's a microfresnel lens beam fixture vs. a hard edge spot fixture.  That's not the point though, the point is ridiculously narrow beams all over the place.

Archived