LED Fabric and Lighting Panels

wheresgrant3

• Members

A few years back LED Fabric was the buzz if the convention industry and I've been waiting for more affordable solutions to arrive on the nightclub scene. A few regional touring club bands have massively invested in lighting to provide a visual stimulant (or distraction LOL) from their shows which largely consist of a 3 or 4 piece band and backing tracks. I'm imagining that the gear, trussing, lighting and software involved must run into the 5-figures. Either some of these bands have rich parents or a wealthy investor. ;)

Here is an example of what I am talking about. 

Moving heads. LED color panels, and a 14 X 8ft LED curtain. Where would one even start to price a setup like that?

• Members

Grant,

I would LOVE to have that curtain in the video

For the size of stage shown in the video moving heads in the $1k range would suffice. The vertical panels are interesting and could be made fairly cheaply (probably $300 per panel counting the DMX LED lighting).  Transporting them becomes an issue especially with the white surface.

I am not a fan of the 3x3 blinders shown - and IIRC they can be found for ~200 per.

The biggest thing you DONT see is the haze machine. You need a very good haze machine for that type of show.

Ihave $33kin my lighting rigThat total includes:

8 Intimidator Spot 350's

4 Intimidator Beam 350's

4 ColorRails

4 Blizzard IceTris

Radiance Hazer

Lots of real 12" Thomas bolt box truss

8 Blizzard Rocklite RBGAW's 

2 Geysers

MotionDrape

x-Laser mobileBeat RBG MkV

Cases (lots of cases)

hate posting this link -half of the front part of the stage lighting went out and am trying to get the bass player's attention to take a look.  It was proof of concept show and the recording was done with bad cell phone camera before we added female lead.  It is NOT official in any way .

And yes the laser is safely being diffused 4' above the drummers head - it is an interesting illusion with the MotionDrape.  I have a variance and know the proper way to use it.

I hope to shoot new video soon.

• Members

LittleWiggler wrote:

Grant

I would LOVE to have that curtain in the video

For the size of stage shown in the video moving heads in the $1k range would suffice. The vertical panels are interesting and could be made fairly cheaply (probably $300 per panel counting the DMX LED lighting).  Transporting them becomes an issue especially with the white surface.

I am not a fan of the 3x3 blinders shown - and IIRC they can be found for ~200 per.

The biggest thing you DONT see is the haze machine. You need a very good haze machine for that type of show.

I
have
$
in
 my 
lighting
 rig
That total includes:

8 Intimidator Spot 350's

4 Intimidator Beam 350's

4 ColorRails

4 Blizzard IceTris

Radiance Hazer

Lots of real 12" Thomas bolt box truss

8 Blizzard Rocklite RBGAW's 

2 Geysers

MotionDrape

x-Laser mobileBeat RBG MkV

Cases (lots of cases)

hate 
posting 
this 
link
-h
alf 
of 
the 
front 
part 
of 
the 
stage 
lighting 
went 
out 
and 
am 
trying 
to 
get 
the 
bass 
player's 
attention 
to
 take a look
It 
was 
proof 
of 
concept
 show and the recording was 
done 
with 
bad 
cell 
phone 
camera 
before 
we 
added 
female 
lead
.  It is NOT official in any way

And yes the laser is safely being diffused 4' above the drummers head - it is an interesting illusion with the MotionDrape.  I have a variance and know the proper way to use it.

I hope to shoot new video soon.

$33K in lighting? Can I ask? How do you break even if so much is invested in gear? Of course the lighting setup is sweet. We are on a much different budget. At some point you have to factor that spending $xxx on lighting features will make for an enhanced show, however there is little return on that investment in terms of increased pay or performances. I'm not judging such an expenditure, just wondering if the benefits are business related. 

Still I won't deny it is a sweet set up. And it looks impressive!

I have to say I'm not a fan of backing tracks however you have programmed some great ones. In fact I'll say they sound seamless. Too many times around here bands will just download karaokee tracks... or worse, they will try to shortcut using the original song track to play against (with a vocal eliminator). Your tracks sound organic. Nice sound and patch choices. 

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I have $11k invested. I just want my band to look awesome. It's all been paid for with gig money, but it will be nice to get it out there earning money for me.

I hope I don't come off as judgemental. If we had $20K to invest in we would absolutely do that. We make good money around $1500 for clubs shows and over $3K for weddings and private events. I just wonder whether a larger expenditiure in lighting will pay off for us. Presentation is just as important as how you sound. We have over $3000 invested in lighting. Given the amount that we travel, put wear and tear on gear I'm not sure whether anything with  moving head is a good idea for us (we killed some scanners a few years back).  I do see something like that curtain as a programmable display as something worthwhile to invest in. That is a game changer in my opinion. 

• Members

That background is pretty neat! I'm pretty happy with my setup. No one had anything even close in the area. I think it just ups the level of the show. I had cases made for my pucks & spot duos:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/AA64F071-0EC4-4C09-BFA7-1455730F7B29-19541-00000D4AFEBBAD71_zps8b7cf81d.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/5AB29A00-3E68-425B-8B10-BAFA48EB2B29-19541-00000D4AF726B914_zps3535d6b5.jpg

And picked up a pair of trunks for $500 used. I use one for my moving heads, measured and bought some foam for them all.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/5AB29A00-3E68-425B-8B10-BAFA48EB2B29-19541-00000D4AF726B914_zps3535d6b5.jpg

You do need some care moving them around or at least I use care.

;)

I'm not sure if it translates into being able to ask for more money, I don't know. I know our rates have definitely risen over the years...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So where can you even get an LED curtain like that? The closest thing I've seen is LED Curtain.com that the price goes up as you have a higher pixel density. But even then its not really a curtain. It's more like individual plastic modules connected together. One of the benefits I think of having a true curtain like the Chauvet MotionDrape is the fact that it also serves as an acoustic damper. If there's something out there that's like the Chauvet MotionDrape but with a much higher pixel density with both DMX and custom output video options I wouldn't mind spending a little money for that.

• Members

UTbone04 wrote:

So where can you even get an LED curtain like that? The closest thing I've seen is 
 that the price goes up as you have a higher pixel density. But even then its not really a curtain. It's more like individual plastic modules connected together. One of the benefits I think of having a true curtain like the Chauvet MotionDrape is the fact that it also serves as an acoustic damper. If there's something out there that's like the Chauvet MotionDrape but with a much higher pixel density with both DMX and custom output video options I wouldn't mind spending a little money for that.

I've priced out curtains... 13x6' 20 mm and they are in the $12-14K range new... $8K used. 

Archived