Need suggestions on replacing martin 518 scanners

hornplayer

• Members

Hello

I currently have 7 Martin 518 scanners that I'm looking to replace. It's getting expensive to replace parts and lamps, to say nothing of the electical requirement to run those bad boys. They also weigh a ton.

I'm considering Chauvet Intimidator spot LED 360's or Blizzard Blade RGBW.

I understand that the Chauvet fixture has gobo's and other effects that the blade does not have. It's my understanding the Blade is basically a color spot on a movable head, but the Blade is at least $200 less expensive.

I will be using these primarily on outdoor concerts, Think large stages 40' X 60' and for stage color I will be using 12 - 16 Blizzard QW12 pucks. That is a fairly bright fixture. (actually a LOT bright fixture)

I lean toward the Chauvet fixture but worry about road worthiness and are they bright enough to cut through 12 - 16 QW12 pucks. They are a versitale fixture and can be used indoors, most likely with no problem because we cut down on the number of pucks we use.

The Blade is most likely bright enough to compete with the pucks, but is probably not as interesting a fixture as the Chauvet. Also it's a well built roadworthy fixture. It probably doesn't translate to indoor use quite as well as the Chauvet in that it is so bright. Also this fixture is half the weight of the Chauvet. Probably sets up on trusses easier than the Chauvet.

Any info from users of either of these fixtures is welcomed. Also other fixture suggestions are welcomed too.

It's a fairly large investment and I want to do this right.

Thanks

John

Archived