Advice needed for compact and portable lighting setup for duo set

chillfok

• Members

I'm looking for something to add a little more ambiance to our duo shows. I would like to add some color to the usually dull restaurant lights that we play under. The stages we play under are usually dark so even the tiniest change would be a plus. We tried sprinkling the stage with fairy lights and we got very positive comments from people so we'd like to take it one step further. The restaurant owners have no problem with us adding lights as long as it's nothing permanent.

Here's what I'd like to have:

* Something easy to carry around (preferably something that sits on the floor instead of a stand).

* Something that can display different colors. Maybe fading from one to the other very smoothly, I don't really care as long as it is NOT flashy-strobey-electronicky (we play quiet background music).

* If it's programmable even better but not required.

* The cheaper the better.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Buy a few Blizzard Pucks. Stand mount or free standing works. They have zero heat, low power draw, very light, some run off batteries as well as AC so useable anywhere. Lots of available colors, can be programmed with almost any DMX console, and comes with a few built in ones that are passable. Models start at less than $100 each, and used often 2 for a $125± if you look around. Probably enough for what you are describing, and easily added to in the future. Too dim for most bands, but perfect for a little light on a duo stage like restaurants often have.

• Members

The lights can be had for $38 each, but my main concern is how you deploy them. Do you have a speaker that sits out in front of you, or is it behind? Floor mounted uplighting looks terrible, except on Halloween. I'm also not a fan of colored lights on performers faces, i.e., green.

If you really want to make an impact, I recommend getting the lights up high, either speaker-mounted as suggested or on a simple tripod ($70).

These inexpensive Chinese lights have the added benefit on being extremely light weight. They have a "color fade" mode, you can set it, then set the fade speed to coincide with your typical BPM, and you can just plug them in and go. I use these for big rock band shows, and they're fantastic.

https://goo.gl/SKjfYx

The best stands I've used have a T-Bar, and can go to 12 feet. Don't use the little support arms, they're not needed. You can wire up your lights and just have 1 cable hanging down to get them running. You can then use a keyboard bag for storage & transport (of the T-bar with pre-wired lights):

Stand:

http://www.pssl.com/American-DJ-12-Ft-Heavy-Duty-Light-Stand-w-X-Bar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived