Why UV?

madjack

• Members

The UV in any of the current multi-chip LEDs isn't really so much UV as it is deep indigo. It doesn't flouresce things as well as actual UV light. The current hex-chip fixtures (RGBAW+UV) mostly look like ass; all of the ones that I've seen have poor homogenization and lots of color shadowing. I would stay away until the technology gets there. I think that the best option right now is RGBA or RGBAW fixtures. The amber really gives you a lot of additional colors that you can't get in just RGB space.

• Members
The UV in any of the current multi-chip LEDs isn't really so much UV as it is deep indigo. It doesn't flouresce things as well as actual UV light. The current hex-chip fixtures (RGBAW+UV) mostly look like ass; all of the ones that I've seen have poor homogenization and lots of color shadowing. I would stay away until the technology gets there. I think that the best option right now is RGBA or RGBAW fixtures. The amber really gives you a lot of additional colors that you can't get in just RGB space.

Man you can say that again! I have 8 pars with RBGW and I use a friends system with RBGA. The latter has wonderful warm yellows & ambers, but the RBGW just can't produce nice yellows. Granted, these are $50 Chinese lights, but they work well. My friends lights are $80 each and don't have any fans (no noise).

• 2 months later...
  • Members

While they don't have the output of an old fashioned bulb, they do make whites pop....a little. Where they seem to shine (pun intended) is when added to other colors. They seem to add a little "pop." I just picked up some Marq gamut pars and they is a big difference when compared to my old RGBA lights.

Archived