Cheap 7ch Chinese lights and Chauvet foot C

• Members

I'm having problems getting them to work together. The foot C is 6 ch and the fixtures are 7 ch rgbw. I'm a sound guy so this stuff isn't intuitive to me. When I set the light to D001 and the controller to fixture 1, the knobs do something to the light but not what I would expect.

My questions are; can I use a 6 ch controller with 7 ch lights? What are the limitations?

Could these cheap Chinese lights be running a strange dmx protocol?

And finally, is it operator error?

Thanks.

• Members

Let's see...the foot controller says it's a 6 channel controller, so I assume that means the 6 knobs labeled Red, Green, Blue, Amber, White & UV are the 6 channels. The fixtures say D001 thru 50 are the DMX addresses. I set my test fixture to D001 and when I turn the knobs like this; knob 1 all the way up, knob 2 adjusts strobe speed and knob 3 changes colors. Does this help? I'm afraid there is a very limited leaflet with funny chinese/american phrases and minimal specs for the lights.

• Members

So I borrowed an Obey 40 from work and it seems to work with the lights the way it should. Looks like the foot C is going back and I'm going to have to use a midi pedal to control and obey 40 or something...bummer.

Archived