Software for busking

mate_stubb

• Members

I find myself using my lighting rig for the first time for another band's show next week. I'm set up for DMXIS for stepping thru presets, but that's not conducive to "playing" the lights by a dedicated light person.

I think it's way too late to change my software for this upcoming gig, but wonder what people would recommend for the future? Will a PC running software give me the user interface that's easy to control? iPad?

• Members

Answering my own question - it appears that DMXIS offers everything I want (combining palettes to create scenes, sequencing scenes in banks) EXCEPT a user interface that allows me to improvise when doing a show live. Rather than invest time and money in a new hardware board, I'm going to design and build a midi console to control DMXIS bank and scene select.

I'll have a bank of buttons for calling full scenes, and several banks to call palettes for applying over scenes. Maybe a few sliders to control master fade and certain fixture masters.

• Members

Hah! A good question and I'm too late to provide the answer you provided yourself.

Anyways, I can recommend a good MIDI controller - the Akai APC line is definitely my favorite for lighting control, the APC Mini would probably be perfect for your needs. You can make each row of keys a type of scene or palette - so make the first row positions, second colors, third effects, &c &c. Works out great. If you wanted to splurge, get a Livid Instruments Ohm off of eBay. Killer controller for lighting. Really sturdy too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Hah! A good question and I'm too late to provide the answer you provided yourself.

Anyways, I can recommend a good MIDI controller - the Akai APC line is definitely my favorite for lighting control, the APC Mini would probably be perfect for your needs. You can make each row of keys a type of scene or palette - so make the first row positions, second colors, third effects, &c &c. Works out great. If you wanted to splurge, get a Livid Instruments Ohm off of eBay. Killer controller for lighting. Really sturdy too.

Thanks for the ideas - I was looking at a $600 Elation controller!

Archived