DMX (noob content) issue solved by swapping cable seems a bit odd...

bigbang

• Members

So I had 10 fixtures in line, same as always. The 5th fixture simply would not respond to DMX, went into standby as programmed to do when no dmx is present. Now mind you all 5 fixtures in line AFTER it worked fine as did the 4 in front of it.

After confirming no fixtures had any programming errors, I started pulling cables. As soon as I replaced the cable between the 3rd and 4th fixture, light 5 was fine. Thought perhaps it was a connector problem but all fixtures were fine with the "bad" cable in line except number 5. Put said cable back in and sure enough fixture 4 would not respond while all others did.

What am I missing here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Blizzard fixtures will not work with the dmx cable ground connected to the metal shell. Is this relevant?

Perhaps. Four of the fixtures are Blizzard, and the one that was wonky was Blizzard. Worked file last couple of gigs. I do have a couple oddball cabels with different brand ends. Hmm.

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Perhaps. Four of the fixtures are Blizzard, and the one that was wonky was Blizzard. Worked file last couple of gigs. I do have a couple oddball cabels with different brand ends. Hmm.

Thanks all.

I have read many times that "Most DMX fixture problems are related to; 1. Lack of terminator, 2. Not using a DMX cable".

Archived