Is a "Lighting Guy" joining the ranks of "Sound Guy"... something every band should have?

• Members

Obviously, lighting can transform a live performance from a bunch of sweaty guys on a stage jamming to a transformative, crowd engaging experience (not knocking the sweaty guy part... there are some stages where you can make good money for that :D).

I've often felt a good band should have their own sound guy (you know... that friend who doesn't play an instrument but wants to hand around); is it time we add a lighting guy (or gal) to that statement?

• Members

Back in "the day", having a dedicated lighting guy and full light show was as necessary as a sound guy for bands operating at a certain level of professionalism and was the goal for all bands aspiring to be at that level. You weren't going to get a gig at any of the major clubs hiring bands unless you brought in your own lights, for the most part.

All that changed during the "all about the art" shoe-gazing period in the 90s. Problem was that it became a downward spiral that is a major cause (IMO) of the situation we are in now where live music isn't considered a premium product worth paying to see by many.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We used to have a sound & light guy back in the day. These days we mix from the stage and I control the lights via foot pedal. It would be nice to have dedicated people. Unfortunately it means more mouths to feed and would take us from a decent payday to not a very good one.

Plus us finding available people is always a challenge. We do ok on our own.

• Members

Ah yes, the good old days back in the 80's when we had a lighting tech along side our soundman. That was also when a cover band typically "moved in" to a club, hung 40-50 pars and then "moved out" 4 or 5 days later.

Today sound is still super important, but so are costs. I Never see both sound & light guys in typical club settings. Having said that, I think Guido has it right - few people care about big light shows any more. I work very hard on the sound, and with today's modern lightweight speakers, it's amazing what I can accomplish with a mini van full of powered boxes. My light show consists of LED lights that pop up on stands and run to the sound of the music. All of the bands I work for are super appreciative for this simple light solution. If money were of no concern, then by all means, yes I would love to hire a light guy.

• Members
Having said that' date=' I think Guido has it right - few people care about big light shows any more.[/quote']

Well, I know they didn't for at least a few years there. I suspect they might dig 'em if the bands provided them.

There are a lot of factors that have contributed to the sad state of live music today. But I do also think that one of them is bands don't give people their moneys worth the way bands used to at least try to do back in the 80s. I understand that nobody wants to bring in a big light and sound rig for a $400 bar gig, but if the bar is ever to be risen again, it has to start somewhere.

Low pay=bands that don't put out much effort=uninterested audiences=even lower pay. It's a vicious cycle after a certain point.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived