Chavet Gigbar

vort

• Members

Anyone have any experience with this fixture in a band setting? Looks like it is mostly for DJ use, but I'm thinking it might be useful for those small gigs where the truss can't come out and you would want some easy dance floor effects.

• Members

I've had my Gigbar for about a month now and have used for 4-5 shows. I use in a full band situation with the light behind the band and love the thing, but did have a quality control issue when one of the derbies stopped moving. I could see the light hanging by a wire inside so I carefully opened it and saw it was just a loose screw that caused the light board to fall off of the motor mount. Easy enough fix.

Now, the reason it looks so good is, in a word, HAZE. The beams are strong enough that haze really makes them pop. They are also bright enough to cut through the stage wash lights, which are Dotz Tpar on each side, so 8 of those lights. 7 are setup as broad wash lights and 1 has the focus beam on it and works great as a solo spot for the guitar player. I just turn it on bright white and the other 7 dark blue. I mount the wash lights directly on the top of my mains with an adapter I fashioned out of some "stuff" I had laying around.

I control all 2 fixtures with an Obey 70 controller and a Tech 21 midi-mouse, a small foot controller that's battery powered and allows me to set scenes. With it I can do intros, blackouts, solos, and a few different dance and wash effects. Nothing super fancy, but really works well for us and finally gives us the light show we've wanted for a while to take things to the next level with a minimum amount of effort.

So I know that's not really much about the Gigbar but there are a few Youtube videos online that give you an idea of what they can do..... I did end up using less DMX channels than I thought I would because the automated programs within the DMX were way easier than trying to control chases where I would have had to do more programming.... and I didn't find the Gigbar's DMX control all that flexible when using all the channels.

• Members

Thank you for the responses. It is a shame about the quality. Glad to see it works for you Abzurd. Lots of videos showing what it does, but I haven't really found anything showing in a band setting (other than the Chauvet propaganda). If you by chance get a video at some point, could you link to it here?

Thanks.

Archived