MIDI Stage (Foot) Controlled Lighting.

nohumanape

• Members

Hey everyone. I am brand new to these forums. I am fairly new to MIDI and DMX controllers. I've controlled but not programmed a live, stage side lighting rig that was running through Ableton Live, so I have a little experience with this and understand that a Laptop is the most diverse option here. Thing is, I want to ditch the Laptop for this current situation. My research has pointed me towards the Behringer FCB1010 and the Chauvet Obey 40. And after looking into both products it does appear as if they will do what I need, for the most part. My main question is, can I assign specific Banks in the FCB1010 to act as independent and specific Scene/Chase storage for specific songs within a set? For example, Bank 01 is all of the lighting Scenes/Chases for Song A (hopefully clicked through in order of progression), Bank 02 is all of the Scenes/Chases for Song B, Etc, Etc, Etc (until the end of the show). Another question is, would it be possible to assign over all dimming control to one if the expression pedals? This way it can be used to black out the stage at the end of songs and bring up dim light in between songs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I am certainly open to different equipment if it will help to achieve my desired results. Thank you.

• Members

I started with an obey70 And an FCB1010. Honestly I couldn't get anywhere with them together. I've used DMXIS with the FCB1010 and they work really well together. I can choose from 100 scenes with the 1010. I have one volume pedal assigned to the lights on the band, and the other controls the smoke machine.

• Members

Although I've never used a MIDI controller with it, my Elation Operator 192 DMX hardware controller supports it and it looks to be a pretty straightforward mapping of direct control over 15 banks/patches/scenes, 6 chases, and blackout. The hardware controller is working fine atm, but I plan to program more advanced scenes using my USB interface, Freestyler, and a small MIDI controller touchpad that can sit nicely on the doghouse of my mixer case.

• Members

Hey ,Strat . How about some details on how you're using the FCB volme pedals to control stuff. I've never tried it yet. My FCB has a Uno chip in it so its pretty easy to program.Dmxis works great and I have tons of presets to use, but I'd like to control my haze like you are.

• Members

Out of the box, the FCB1010 works pretty good with DMXIS. It will go through 100 scenes in a bank. On the FCB1010, Bank 0, pedals 1 - 10 will choose the first 10 scenes. Bank , pedals 1 - 10 are the next 10 scenes etc. you have to change the banks on the DMXIS program manually, but 100 scenes will do me for the night. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg My hazer has DMX capabilities. I set the address to 16. Then on DMXIS the slider for channel 16 will control it. I right click fader 16 and chose "learn" and move the volume pedal. It then attaches itself to the fader and you are good to go. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg One nice thing is this. All keys scenes have the hazer (channel 16) in the off position. So if I have the hazer running, I can switch scenes and it will automatically turn off. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg Here's how I set up when I play the FCB1010 in front and my guitar rig to the side. It works out great. A63E4743-EEEF-4674-856D-F5D8AA4768A4.jpg

• Members

Shoot I haven't tried assigning b midi command to a slider yet. Got everything else though. Just haven't tried that. I put the uno chip in it for guitar midi control and it has made the FCB easier to program for just about anything. Especially with a pc editor.

Archived