Chauvet SlimPAR HEX fixtures...

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hey, Bill! Hope you are well... and thanks for the reply.

Yeah... both, but mostly band lighting. I also volunteer as DJ for some grade school dances, etc. and could definitely use something for uplighting, and I'm looking at getting some scrims or a band logo banner to have on stage and uplight, but mostly just want a tree or two that I can throw up quick and light the band. We're getting more outdoor patio gig work where they have little or nothing to light the "stage" We have a 12-piece w/ horns and 4 singers, stage front (but mostly the male and female lead vocals, stage front/center)... but it's a LOT of area to have to light up.

Right now the band has a pair of old Chauvet color bank 8 lights to light the stage and I use a Chauvet Vue3, a pair of ADJ Pearl WH, and a mirror ball w/ 2 pin spots for the dance floor... all controlled with an analog Lite-Puter foot controller and ED15 dimmer pack. Pretty lame, actually... but prior to my taking of BE duties they just used the color banks. Now, mind you... they pull 3 grand a gig for a wedding reception and typically $1,500 for patio bar gigs and I think they NEED to invest in their presentation.. which is why I put my cheap DJ lights into the mix... but it adds another 45min. to my setup time and another half hour at tear down.

BTW - I have the On-Stage 10' truss package and I've used it on a small festival gig where we were setting up on two empty flat-bed semi trailers as a stage with no other lighting around. I put it over the drummer with 8 small gelled floods on chase, a few white floods as blinders (used sparingly), and a half dozen mini strobes in the drum kit for effect... all controlled with another Lite-Puter footswitch ED15 dimmer pack setup.

Here's what I'm looking for... enough stage wash for a 12-piece, probably at stage-rear on a small truss or tree (that could maybe also hold uplit scrims or band logo vertical banner), some wash and/or spots that could light the front of the band and point out soloists/lead singers that is on a front tree off to the side, and dance floor/ceiling-over-dance-floor lights for the audience's benefit... possibly also on that front tree. As easy to set up and strike as possible with one power cord per tree/truss and wireless DMX w/ laptop control, scale-able for small bar gig to outdoor patio gig to wedding reception to small corporate gig... so modular or at least sections that are pre-wired for easy setup.strike... and for about $1,000. (jk on that last one)

• Members

I'd recommend starting with a pair of Blizzard's Weather Systems. Each unit has 8 LED fixtures, tripod and simple foot controller. One each side of the stage would serve you well for well under a grand.

As soon as possible, I'd ditch the foot controllers and invest in either a hardware or software DMX controller. This would allow you to take complete command of your presentation.

• Members

Yeah, I'm a BE out front and can easily controller the lighting during the performance... so no need for the foot controllers at all. I think I'd probably need 3 of those for our wide stage though. So, each system is 24 3W TRI leds? I like that they're aim-able in groups of 3, but is the brightness really twice of something like an ADJ Ultra Bar 12 (12 3W TRI leds vs. 24) that is more compact and less than half the price? EDIT: And what's your opinion of Blizzard's COB4 Weather System? Beam angles are a little wider @ 30 degrees. Will they be dropping the price on the 8 fixture models I wonder?

Archived