One More Time......

• Members

I posted this question about 3 months ago, I think?

Anyway, does anybody have any experience, or opinions on the Active Samson Speakers DB500a.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1644&brandID=2

Somebody stole the Club Series Yamaha speakers from my church last weekend and my Yamaha MS400's too.

We are looking for an inexpensive replacement, and the Samson look fine for the price.

Any input will be of great help.

Thanks,

ViLo

• Members

Originally posted by Stingray5

Hey Vilo, let me know when you find out something. I'm curious myself, price sounds good. I don't think anyone has them in stock yet. Sad day, when people steal from the Church, hope you had insurance! Denny

Yes, we have insurance, but they never pay a fair price and take weeks for a refund .

Apparently the sotres adevertising online don't have them yet. I called Samash today and they have the Passive version, but not the Active Version of the DB500a yet.

www.zzounds.com is advertising them but they say is not available until 12/22/2002.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Power and price look good......maybe too good. Make sure the 400w low and 100w high are RMS ratings and not some version of peak power. I found a few companies doing that when I put together my powered speaker chart.

This is the info. I found regarding wattage for the Samson DB500a:

"If you want the best sounding speaker system you need to start with the best sounding components. For this, Samson had Celestion custom design a super heavy-duty 15 in. driver and combined it with a super smooth titanium diaphragm HF driver. TO drive this, Samson packed the dB500 with a Class H power amp that pumps >>>>400 watts RMS>>>100 watts RMS

• Members

Just wondering how big is the church? The reason i ask is Im letting the church use my MS- 400 for mains and useing Behringer B-300 for Monitors, I A/B the B300 with the MS400 Both will do the job in a small to med. church. I have to say 500wts for $499.99 with free shipping is tempting!! Denny

• Members

Just wondering how big is the church? The reason i ask is Im letting the church use my MS- 400 for mains and useing Behringer B-300 for Monitors, I A/B the B300 with the MS400 Both will do the job in a small to med. church. I have to say 500wts for $499.99 with free shipping is tempting!! Denny

Our church is not that big, well is not our church we are renting, we are planning to build a our church next year.

Anyway is a small building lets' say 300 people, but I was thinking about the Samason's because of the 500 wats and built in limiter, and if we build a new church wich we are thinking about building big enough for 500 or 600 people I just buy another pair or the Samson EX500 Active subwoofer 500 watts with built in crossover.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=122&brandID=2

• Members

Thats good thinking Vilo, I've been doing the same thing. Also building a new church about the same capacity, as yours. That's why I got the Behringers, so they could all be used as monitors. Go with something more elaborate, for the mains when we move. As I said, we are using my MS400, for the mains and the church bought 3, B300 for monitors. After playing around a little more with the eq, on the MS400 speakers, I think they have a real smooth sound, too bad they quit making them. Mackie 450 sound realy nice too, but $700.00 bucks. They don't sound twice as good to me. PS. If you got any good ideas on a podium mike, Im open, right now I'm using a PVM 22. Later, Denny

• Members

Thats good thinking Vilo, I've been doing the same thing. Also building a new church about the same capacity, as yours. That's why I got the Behringers, so they could all be used as monitors. Go with something more elaborate, for the mains when we move. As I said, we are using my MS400, for the mains and the church bought 3, B300 for monitors. After playing around a little more with the eq, on the MS400 speakers, I think they have a real smooth sound, too bad they quit making them. Mackie 450 sound realy nice too, but $700.00 bucks. They don't sound twice as good to me. PS. If you got any good ideas on a podium mike, Im open, right now I'm using a PVM 22. Later, Denny

We have a Shure poduim mic but at this moment don't remember what model, and also an Audio Technica lavalier, one thing that I want to get is a compressor limiter, I was amazed when I visited one of our churches in Arlington TX., how the pastor was moving his head up and down and to the sides and there were no changes on the volume, and with ours I have to be moving faders up and down all day :).

On another note, I think the advantage from the Samson's over the MS400[Don't get me wrong I like the MS400 a lot ,well bye bye they are not with me anymore :( ] is the 500 watts instead of 400 and the built in limiter, but we still need to listen to the Samson's and then I can talk :D we'll see.

If the MS400's were available I will probably buy them again, but the wattage, the limiter and the $499.00 price on the SAMSONS are to tempting.

• Members

Call me Mr. Grumpy Pessimist but in my few years visiting these boards I dont ever recall anyone mentioning Samson speakers and IMO Samson seems to be less than forthcoming in the specs department. The only efficiency ratings I seemed to be able to find for speakers were for their EX500 Powered sub which was 94db @ 1w/1m, not very impressive IMO. After looking at their specs for poweramps I get the impression that rating is a "Going downhill with the wind at your back rating".

Dont make the mistake of thinking because the speakers are rated at 500 watts that they will be louder or better. When comparing two speakers with the same efficiency you wont be able to hear a noticable difference volume wise between 400 and 500 watts. Then there is the matter of some manufacturers will give you the "Going downhill with the wind at your back rating" which doesnt help you in a real world situation, but looks good on paper.

My suggestion is to A/B them against some Yamaha S115IV's, since you are familiar with them, with a poweramp between 400-500 watts (at 8 ohms of course). Try not only to discern volume differences but sound quality differences. Above all else never trust anyone who is trying to sell you an item to tell you the whole truth. Always be skeptical of those people and dont be afraid to kick 'em where it counts (the wallet).

• Members

Originally posted by ViLo

We have a Shure poduim mic but at this moment don't remember what model, and also an Audio Technica lavalier, one thing that I want to get is a compressor limiter, I was amazed when I visited one of our churches in Arlington TX., how the pastor was moving his head up and down and to the sides and there were no changes on the volume, and with ours I have to be moving faders up and down all day
:)

Don't be so sure that a compressor will solve this problem. Sounds like maybe a very open pattern on the mic element, which will work quite well in the correct application. Find out more before assuming it's because of a compressor... I kind of doubt it!

• Members

Originally posted by fossil

Call me Mr. Grumpy Pessimist but in my few years visiting these boards I dont ever recall anyone mentioning Samson speakers and IMO Samson seems to be less than forthcoming in the specs department. The only efficiency ratings I seemed to be able to find for speakers were for their EX500 Powered sub which was 94db @ 1w/1m, not very impressive IMO. After looking at their specs for poweramps I get the impression that rating is a "Going downhill with the wind at your back rating".

Dont make the mistake of thinking because the speakers are rated at 500 watts that they will be louder or better. When comparing two speakers with the same efficiency you wont be able to hear a noticable difference volume wise between 400 and 500 watts. Then there is the matter of some manufacturers will give you the "Going downhill with the wind at your back rating" which doesnt help you in a real world situation, but looks good on paper.

My suggestion is to A/B them against some Yamaha S115IV's, since you are familiar with them, with a poweramp between 400-500 watts (at 8 ohms of course). Try not only to discern volume differences but sound quality differences. Above all else never trust anyone who is trying to sell you an item to tell you the whole truth. Always be skeptical of those people and dont be afraid to kick 'em where it counts (the wallet).

Thanks, that's why I said I need to try the Samson's and see if they really are what they say they are, after all I have 30 to 45 days to return them :) , depending of where I buy them, that's one of the advantages we have in the USA .

Thanks again for your suggestion, I will post once I get them and try them, still wating from the insurance payment,

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Don't be so sure that a compressor will solve this problem. Sounds like maybe a very open pattern on the mic element, which will work quite well in the correct application. Find out more before assuming it's because of a compressor... I kind of doubt it!

Thanks for your info. this problem is happening with not only the lavalier or the podium mic, but also with the Shure SM58, and since we don't have any compressor/limiter I'm planning to buy one to try and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.:)

• Members

Agedhorse, are you saying that a compressor won't help with a lavalier cardioid clip on mic? Because that's what I was going to do, soon as I hook up the new RQ4332 Peavey Board, with built in compression. Not only to try to keep the volume level even, when the pastor moves his head up and down, but also when he gets a little louder. Not only just keeping the voice more consistent, but to also keep feedback under control. I read once, that a SM57, makes a good podioum mike. I tryed it yesterday, muted the channel, hooked up the 57, muted the chanel, switched to the PVM22, without changing anything else. The Peavey PVM22 had way more gain. I was wondering if the Behringer B2 or B1 might be a good choice for a podioum mike. I agree that power, is not the only equation on selecting a powered speaker, especially when I a/b the B300 against the MS400. Three out of four people picked the Behringer. To my dismay, since I own the MS400. Oh well, can't win them all. Denny.

• Members

Agedhorse, are you saying that a compressor won't help with a lavalier cardioid clip on mic? Because that's what I was going to do, soon as I hook up the new RQ4332 Peavey Board, with built in compression. Not only to try to keep the volume level even, when the pastor moves his head up and down, but also when he gets a little louder. Not only just keeping the voice more consistent, but to also keep feedback under control. I read once, that a SM57, makes a good podioum mike. I tryed it yesterday, muted the channel, hooked up the 57, muted the chanel, switched to the PVM22, without changing anything else. The Peavey PVM22 had way more gain. I was wondering if the Behringer B2 or B1 might be a good choice for a podioum mike. I agree that power, is not the only equation on selecting a powered speaker, especially when I a/b the B300 against the MS400. Three out of four people picked the Behringer. To my dismay, since I own the MS400. Oh well, can't win them all. Denny.

Check thid link:

http://www.soundinstitute.com/article_detail.cfm/ID/121

• Members

Originally posted by ViLo

I posted this question about 3 months ago, I think?

Anyway, does anybody have any experience, or opinions on the Active Samson Speakers DB500a.

Somebody stole the Club Series Yamaha speakers from my church last weekend and my Yamaha MS400's too.

We are looking for an inexpensive replacement, and the Samson look fine for the price.

Any input will be of great help.

Thanks,

ViLo

According to Samson's rep. the DB500a still in production.

• Members

I'm also thinking about the The 510 Dawn system, for myself but I'm not sure yet..................................

If I want to go with the Samson EX500 SUB/DB500a Speakers Combo [Heavier]but more power] or THE 510 DAwn System [ligther & cleaner {so they say :) } but less power]

:confused: :confused:

• Members

A compressor will only help even things out if you have enough gain (actually more than enough) and you can use it more to take off spots that are too loud, since any gain reduction must come from available gain before feedback. On a lav, there is usually not enough margin to make results useful.

It may help on a podium or handheld, where GBF is not as big of a problem, but approach it with caution, learn as much as possible about how a compressor works brefor trying it out on the guina pigs

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

A compressor will only help even things out if you have enough gain (actually more than enough) and you can use it more to take off spots that are too loud, since any gain reduction must come from available gain before feedback. On a lav, there is usually not enough margin to make results useful.

It may help on a podium or handheld, where GBF is not as big of a problem, but approach it with caution, learn as much as possible about how a compressor works brefor trying it out on the guina pigs

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So, how d'you like their sound compared to the MS400 and SRM450 ?

How much (perceived) power compared to the SRM450 and B300 ?

I don't care for specs. I want your opinion.

(I had the B300 that crapped out on me : great sound but not enough power ...)

• Members

Looks like a good value for an active cabinet on the surface. One thing I don't like is that specs for this box are nowhere to be found. Samson site has nothing. I must have checked 10 websites that carry them. Not a one had anything more than a picture and the identical vaguely speced marketing blurb.

• Members

Originally posted by JMS 2

So, how d'you like their sound compared to the MS400 and SRM450 ?

How much (perceived) power compared to the SRM450 and B300 ?

I don't care for specs. I want your opinion.

(I had the B300 that crapped out on me : great sound but not enough power ...)

Sorry for the late reply, I was out for a while.

I like them a lot, I have power to spare! i I went up all the way on my Allen& Heath and no distortion, to me the sound is clean, but I'm not an expert, is just my opinion, I'm happy.

I paid $410.00 ea. form Music123.com.

Archived