For what it's worth - Powered Speaker comparison

• Members

I just got off the phone with a store owner that carries several lines of powered speakers including Yorkville, JBL, EV, Db Technologies, FBT & Crest. He said he recently did a little experiment where he hooked them all up and brought in friends and fellow musicians to run a blind test. One speaker was selected as the best sounding by every person. And the winner was.

Yorkville's NX520P ($650 street)

I'm not sure what was used as the source material, how loud they were played, the EQ, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Yorkville's NX520P ($650 street)

That is great news as those are the ones that I am looking at. The street price here in Nova Scotia ia about $1k ea.

As soon as I can justify the money, I will be getting them.

Thanks for the info.

• Members

Just my opinion....

Maybe the Yorkville have a higher comission payout for the dealers. Often store plug what is most lucrative to them. "He said..." Maybe they are the best, I don't know. But I'd listen more to the musician who has nothing to gain and knows sound. I've seen too many companies plug the higher payout item...

Please don't throw anything at me....

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I am still leaning, but not committed to purchasing yet as our group is still in its infancy, only playing a paying gig once a month, toward the Yorkvilles. I am hoping to score a use set but no luck yet.;)

I have seen a couple of powered speakers appear on e-bay but even there the price is high, so I guess these things are in demand and hold their price.

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

Just my opinion....

Maybe the Yorkville have a higher comission payout for the dealers. Often store plug what is most lucrative to them. "He said..." Maybe they are the best, I don't know. But I'd listen more to the musician who has nothing to gain and knows sound. I've seen too many companies plug the higher payout item...

Please don't throw anything at me....

Maybe not......Commision has nothing to do with store owners...

Maufacts dont pay commision....store owners do....so that comment is without merit! the Crest actually cost less (dealer) so if that was the case he would have pushed the crest!

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

Maybe not......Commision has nothing to do with store owners...

Maufacts dont pay commision....store owners do....so that comment is without merit! the Crest actually cost less (dealer) so if that was the case he would have pushed the crest!

Good point, but you still have to admit that the dealer may have another motive for pushing the Yorkvilles. Maybe he overestimated the demand for them in your market, and he's got a warehouse full of 'em that he wants to move.

Overall, the Yorkvilles have had many positive reviews here. I wouldn't necessary ignore the dealer's 'experiment', nor would I bet the farm on one person's judgement. Instead just take it as one other opinion in your pre-purchase research.

Archived