FBT maxx series

• Members

I have only heard the Maxx 2, but that sounded terrific. Generally the FBT Maxx series gets good reviews here in Denmark. And here in Denmark you can get a Maxx6 for the same price of a EV SX300. The Maxx 9 sub is also a lot cheaper than the equivalent Mackie SWA 1501. But if you do buy the set, please keep us informed (at least me). I would like to know more about the sub, and how it performs.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by flanc

Look at the Yorkville NX20p for a lightweight active...I think about 35 lbs.

The FBT MaxX 4A is 32 lbs. Had them for 1 1/2 year now. Never had problems with them. I think they look great and sound great, gonna A/B to mackies tomorrow.

• Members

Originally posted by Bajazz

The FBT MaxX 4A is 32 lbs. Had them for 1 1/2 year now. Never had problems with them. I think they look great and sound great, gonna A/B to mackies tomorrow.

Would love to hear how the A/B went as I'm looking at Mackie SRM450's, Yorkville NX550P's or FBT maxx4a's and your input would be much appreciated.

• Members

Would love to hear how the A/B went as I'm looking at Mackie SRM450's, Yorkville NX550P's or FBT maxx4a's and your input would be much appreciated.

Here was something I posted on a different thread. Somewhere in there it compares a bunch of speakers, which a guy A/B'd and posted his results. Generally, the concensus is that FBT sounds better than Yorkville, but they cost more to do that. Yorkville sounds better than Mackie, but cost less. I'd narrow it down to Yorkville and FBT...

The Yorkville NX550P outpowers the FBT Maxx4A by 150 watts, but they are a similar price.

• Members

From another thread talking about B&C components used in FBT speakers vs RCF components used in Mackie speakers.

by "Kennykeys"

"As far as I can gather, this is the story:

RCF (Mackie compononets) have gone through some changes since being bought by Mackie. They more or less scrapped their previous line of very popular drivers and introduced new models. The new company/drivers don't seem to be used as much by speaker cab builders. Also, a couple of their top engineers left RCF and started EighteenSound (some very nice drivers.)

The popularity of B&C products has increased in the past few years (Yorkville, FBT, TCS, Nexo, Vdosc?). "

• Members

Well, don't know... Sounded like the FBT has clearer sound, but it could as well be a little EQ difference. I would say these two are pretty close. I had a little background noise while soundcheck, so the nuance difference was lost. And I guess that would be a perfect test situation...?

• Members

Thanks for the input Bajazz.

So if the the Yorkville NX550P sounds better than the Mackie SRM450 (at least according to some posts here), and the FBT Maxx4a sounds basically the same as the Mackie, than is it safe to say that the Yorkville may be the better of the 3? Or are they all so close that it really doesn't matter? I'm pretty much down to these 3 and I just don't know which to buy? Maybe I'm down to the Yorkies and FBT's. $600 + is a lot of money for me so I don't want to regret my purchase.

Bajazz, you are the only one I've heard of who has done this comparison, any more you comment on the test? The Mackie has more power I believe so did you crank them up pretty loud for the comparison? Did both have plenty of headroom? Also, my application won't need them cranked up so did one sound better at low volume, medium volume, high volume?

Thanks,

Dane

• Members

Hmmm, I just realized that I was confusing the Yorkville and Mackie when referring to the higher power in the speaker. The Yorkville has quite a bit more power and I'm wondering how that translates sound wise.

• Members

Originally posted by Red

Thanks for the input Bajazz.

So if the the Yorkville NX550P sounds better than the Mackie SRM450 (at least according to some posts here), and the FBT Maxx4a sounds basically the same as the Mackie, than is it safe to say that the Yorkville may be the better of the 3? Or are they all so close that it really doesn't matter? ...
... Bajazz, you are the only one I've heard of who has done this comparison, any more you comment on the test? The Mackie has more power I believe so did you crank them up pretty loud for the comparison?

Here is how the test was done:

I guess you want full freedom to do a real A/B, adjusting EQ, doing different volumes, etc, but then again, when are you allowed full freedom doing soundcheck playing in a club/bar/coffee house?

I play solo with guit/voc/harp, so for me a 12" is OK.

• Members

Red,

Have you tried any searches on these speakers (here and elsewhere?)

From what I've heard, the Mackie sounds sweet at low to moderate volumes but gets compressed and runs out of gas when cranked.

IIWY, I'd go with the Yorkie.....I've heard of NO complaints about that speaker, established company, they make proven amps too (often the weak point of these types of products), and a good warrenty. The FBT might be more difficult to get serviced if the need arrises.

.02$

• Members

Well, I've searched pretty hard and have found some reviews on them but nothing like the Mackies since pretty much every store caries them. Of course that means nothing since Ultrasound acoustic amps are the best out and many people haven't heard of them either............YET!!!!! The fact that FBT is SO new on the scene does concern me though so it does push me a little towards the Yorkies.

Then again I can get the Mackies for $600 to my door which I think is cheaper than FBT or Yorkville but it seems to be unanimous that both of these sound better which is more important.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Randy Focht

Have any of you heard of Phonic 550/450,

Behringer B300, Samson db500a, or Crest LQ15p / LQ 12p powered speakers?

I've heard OF them all, but haven't heard any.

But if you want real good quality, I'd look at the Crest first and dismiss the Phonic and Behringer.

Try a few searches.

Archived