Shure E5 Earphones

• Members

I currently have a wired PSM200 and am using the E2 earbuds. I am considering upgrading to the E5 earphones but the salesman told me it would be a waste to buy the E5's since the PSM200 is only mono. He said I should get the E1's.

Anyway - what are your thoughts ?

• Moderators

There's no significant difference between an E2 and an E1. Not much, anyway. You'd be wasting your money.

E5s sound great, much more low end and extended high end too. You'll cry the first time you break a set where the wire goes into the bud, though.

Terry D.

• Members

Kind of a strange tactic by a salesman, borders on sales prevention. E5's will sound notably different than E2's. Low frequencies are very similar, but the E5's shine in the upper frequencies.

As mentioned an E1 and E2 sound similar. Specifically the E2 has a warmer low frequency response and the E1 has a nice smooth high frequency response.

What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade? Are you looking for more highs? Better overall sound quality? Better fit?

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

There's no significant difference between an E2 and an E1. Not much, anyway. You'd be wasting your money.

E5s sound great, much more low end and extended high end too. You'll cry the first time you break a set where the wire goes into the bud, though.

Terry D.

Do they tend to break under normal use......if so, are they covered under warranty......or are you just SOL ? :confused::eek:

• Moderators

Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

Do they tend to break under normal use......if so, are they covered under warranty......or are you just SOL ?
:confused::eek:

Well, what's normal?

Sunday night I played a show and watched one of the backup singers putting an E2 in her ear. She was rolling the foamie to compress it first (good girl!) but in the process she was brutally twisting the wire right where it goes into the bud! :eek:

I've also seen people get the wire caught on their guitar strap, or drop the receiver, either way ripping the buds right out of their ears by the wires! :eek:

These things can take a surprising amount of abuse before they give up the ghost, but with rough treatment it's inevitable that the little wires will break. I don't think the warranty could reasonably cover that, but I will say that Shure service is very kind compared to other manufacturers I've dealt with.

I've not broken a wire on an E5 yet, but I don't let just anybody use my one pair of E5s. The E2s get used by a lot of people.

After quite a bit of experience and thought, I think it's just like having a teenager driving the family car. "Junior" don't light up the tires if he has to pay to replace them! :D

And, the bottom line is, this is business. There's going to be some operating cost, and if I end up having to replace an E2 once in a while, well, it's only $75. That's like, what, three Duracell Alkaline Max batteries? I go through those damn things like water.

Terry D.

• Members

Hey! I'm a bass player. Did I just hear that the E2 might be a better fit? I'm currently using E1 with the PSM400. Our guitar player used an E2 while his E1 was out for repair. He had to use the high boost feature on the receiver to make it sound right to him. Sugerfried - whaddyathink?

• Members

TrickDog: An E1 has more high frequency response than an E2.

Fit is a personal thing - everyone's ears are different. For some, an E2 is like an inverted glove - perfect. For others it won't go in at all. Same thing for E1's, E5's, and just about every other universal fitting earphone I can think of.

Terry and Surreal: If you break a set of E1's or E2's the replacement cost is the same as for an SM57 or SM58, just $55. If it's in warranty and it breaks under normal use there is no relpacement fee. Replacement fee for the E5 is $100. And it's also covered by a two year warranty.

I've had a pair of E1's for the entire 5 years that I've worked at Shure and they still work just fine. Like all gear, if you take care of it you'll enjoy it for a long time.

• Members

I'm a bass player that subs in various theaters and shows that use in ear monitors and everyone is direct to the board, with no amps. After trying to hear myself with the house E-1 buds for several shows I bought a set of the E-5s. Like night and day.

This is my personal set and I just plug into whatever Shure receiver unit they give me for my monitor mix (all PS400s and 600s so far). Much easier for me to determine my intonation and tone at lower volumes with the E-5s. When I leave the show, so do my E-5s.

I've used a custom fitted set of ear plugs for many years to protect my hearing and I am going to have a set of fitted ear plugs made for my E-5s. Should I put extra emphasis on stain relief?

• Members

TrickDog: The low frequency response of E1 and E2 is almost the same, but many perceive more lows from the E2. It handles kick drums and bass guitars with a bit more of a dynamic response. This is primarily due to the difference in the drivers used. On a frequency graph they look almost identical, but those graphs don't take into account the transient response of the drivers. This is why people perceive more lows from an E2.

Regarding the pouch, we'll probably make it an accessory pretty soon. I don't know when.

J the D: I'm not sure what you mean by extra emphasis on stain relief? Do you mean strain relief?

• Moderators

Originally posted by Sugarfried

J the D: I'm not sure what you mean by extra emphasis on stain relief? Do you mean strain relief?

LOL!

If President Clinton had paid a little more attention to stain relief we'd be living in a different world right now.

He does prefer E5's over E1's, though. ;)

Terry D.

• Members

I stand by my previous dissemblence.

I am using the E-5 buds and am getting some custom fitted ear plugs made for them by an audiologist (same guy that made my hearing saving ear plugs). I read the earlier posts regarding the wires pulling out and was wondering if I should have him cast my new ear plugs so they provide some additional st*R*ain relief to the wires.

• Members

So the audiologist that made your custom earplugs is making one for your E5's? I am only aware of two companies that make them right now, Sensaphonics and Westone. Is it either of those companies? Or does he actually make them himself?

In any event, I don't think an additional strain relief would be required, but I'm not sure if the mold would be the same as when Sensaphonics or Westone do it. So I don't really know.

• Members

So the audiologist that made your custom earplugs is making one for your E5's? I am only aware of two companies that make them right now, Sensaphonics and Westone. Is it either of those companies? Or does he actually make them himself?

In any event, I don't think an additional strain relief would be required, but I'm not sure if the mold would be the same as when Sensaphonics or Westone do it. So I don't really know.

What does an audiologist charge to make custom earplugs? :confused:

• Members

I just got back from my local GC with a nice new E5 in hand.

I've got E1s and E2s for my band and am looking forward to trying th E5 this weekend. I suppose I'll have to get some custom plugs now!

Okay now, reassure me. I'm gonna like these a whole bunch??? I'm the bass player and hoping for 'more and better ME!'.

• Moderators

Originally posted by TrickDog

I just got back from my local GC with a nice new E5 in hand.

I've got E1s and E2s for my band and am looking forward to trying th E5 this weekend. I suppose I'll have to get some custom plugs now!

Okay now, reassure me. I'm gonna like these a whole bunch??? I'm the bass player and hoping for 'more and better ME!'.

You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you get a good seal between the foamies and your ears, and you'll have lots of low end. Roll the foamies, Luke!

Terry D.

P. S.. If it's not too rude a question, how much did you pay for those puppies?

• Members

SurrealMcCoy: A custom sleeve for an E1 or E5 will cost anywhere from $100-150 depending on who does it and in what state. You won't have a hard time in Central CA. Just call Sensaphonics at 877-848-1714 and they'll refer you to someone in your area that can take the impression. They can give you pricing too.

• Members

Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

What does an audiologist charge to make custom earplugs?
:confused:

I paid close to $150 for them in 1978. They are custom fitted to my ears and reduce the SPL by more than 20 dB over the entire frequency range, not just one particular band. He starts at $279 for the same thing now. But my ear plugs are comfortable all night long and I am still able to hear everything, just softer.

I sometimes help to stage the cars at a local dragstrip that has some national meets and have even been the guy that brings them right up to the starting line a couple of years. I can wear the earplugs and be as protected as when I wear my shooters muffs (I use BOTH when I do the line, talk about LOUD!!!!). Much more comfortable in the hot sun and it lets your wear that cool hat without crushing it with the head band.

Regarding Sensaphonics and Westone, this would be his first try to incorporate the Shure buds into his casting. I am paying the regular price and he gets to practice with my units. He plans on charging substantially more for this service. He deals with and sells the expensive computerized hearing aids (one particular unit is $10,000!!!!!) and is used to custom work. I am losing some of the ear plugs' hearing protection with the cavity being created for the Shure buds but the buds themselves have a substantial reduction factor so I will still be protected from the guy still playing a Marshall stack at 11 even with in ear monitors.

• Members

GC was selling them for $375.00. Good price? I don't know, I'm occaisionally too lazy to shop around.

I'm really looking forward to using them. I've been using the plastic sleeves with my E1s. Have you found the foam to be a better fit? Sheesh.... listen to me "Have you found the foam......." I live in Houston, TX. I must speak properly.

I'm fixin to use them things this weekend. Been having luck with the plastic? Y'all reckon foam being better?

Ahhhhh.... I feel good!

• Members

SurrealMcCoy: A custom sleeve for an E1 or E5 will cost anywhere from $100-150 depending on who does it and in what state. You won't have a hard time in Central CA. Just call Sensaphonics at 877-848-1714 and they'll refer you to someone in your area that can take the impression. They can give you pricing too.

Thanks again Sugarfried..........I'm just about sold on the PSM-400/E5's. :)

• Members

Our band been using the PSM400s for over a year now. We are a trio and have three of the PSM400 transmitters, receivers, and mixers. The ONLY downside has been the random dropouts and occaisional squelch type noise. We can remedy some of that by ensuring good AC to the units, and changing freqencies as needed. When I first got them, I sent them all back to Shure for a 'dropout tune-up'.

Having said all that, I would NEVER go back to wedges. I love these things.

Sugarfried - any comments or suggestions regarding dropout or 'squeek/swish' noises?

• Moderators

Originally posted by TrickDog

I'm fixin to use them things this weekend. Been having luck with the plastic? Y'all reckon foam being better?

Foam seems to give the best seal and hence the best low end.

Terry D.

Archived