Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarfried
    So the audiologist that made your custom earplugs is making one for your E5's? I am only aware of two companies that make them right now, Sensaphonics and Westone. Is it either of those companies? Or does he actually make them himself?

In any event, I don't think an additional strain relief would be required, but I'm not sure if the mold would be the same as when Sensaphonics or Westone do it. So I don't really know.

What does an audiologist charge to make custom earplugs?
    Surreal (Alan)

Check out:

www.acousticplayermagazine.com/community

come join APM's acoustic forum!

Comment

I just got back from my local GC with a nice new E5 in hand.

I've got E1s and E2s for my band and am looking forward to trying th E5 this weekend. I suppose I'll have to get some custom plugs now!

Okay now, reassure me. I'm gonna like these a whole bunch??? I'm the bass player and hoping for 'more and better ME!'.

Comment

Originally posted by TrickDog
        I just got back from my local GC with a nice new E5 in hand.

I've got E1s and E2s for my band and am looking forward to trying th E5 this weekend. I suppose I'll have to get some custom plugs now!

Okay now, reassure me. I'm gonna like these a whole bunch??? I'm the bass player and hoping for 'more and better ME!'.

You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you get a good seal between the foamies and your ears, and you'll have lots of low end. Roll the foamies, Luke!

Terry D.

P. S.. If it's not too rude a question, how much did you pay for those puppies?
        Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

SurrealMcCoy: A custom sleeve for an E1 or E5 will cost anywhere from $100-150 depending on who does it and in what state. You won't have a hard time in Central CA. Just call Sensaphonics at 877-848-1714 and they'll refer you to someone in your area that can take the impression. They can give you pricing too.

Comment

Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

What does an audiologist charge to make custom earplugs?

I paid close to $150 for them in 1978. They are custom fitted to my ears and reduce the SPL by more than 20 dB over the entire frequency range, not just one particular band. He starts at $279 for the same thing now. But my ear plugs are comfortable all night long and I am still able to hear everything, just softer.

I sometimes help to stage the cars at a local dragstrip that has some national meets and have even been the guy that brings them right up to the starting line a couple of years. I can wear the earplugs and be as protected as when I wear my shooters muffs (I use BOTH when I do the line, talk about LOUD!!!!). Much more comfortable in the hot sun and it lets your wear that cool hat without crushing it with the head band.

Regarding Sensaphonics and Westone, this would be his first try to incorporate the Shure buds into his casting. I am paying the regular price and he gets to practice with my units. He plans on charging substantially more for this service. He deals with and sells the expensive computerized hearing aids (one particular unit is $10,000!!!!!) and is used to custom work. I am losing some of the ear plugs' hearing protection with the cavity being created for the Shure buds but the buds themselves have a substantial reduction factor so I will still be protected from the guy still playing a Marshall stack at 11 even with in ear monitors.
            Yeah, now!

Comment

GC was selling them for $375.00. Good price? I don't know, I'm occaisionally too lazy to shop around.

I'm really looking forward to using them. I've been using the plastic sleeves with my E1s. Have you found the foam to be a better fit? Sheesh.... listen to me "Have you found the foam......." I live in Houston, TX. I must speak properly.

I'm fixin to use them things this weekend. Been having luck with the plastic? Y'all reckon foam being better?

Ahhhhh.... I feel good!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarfried
                SurrealMcCoy: A custom sleeve for an E1 or E5 will cost anywhere from $100-150 depending on who does it and in what state. You won't have a hard time in Central CA. Just call Sensaphonics at 877-848-1714 and they'll refer you to someone in your area that can take the impression. They can give you pricing too.

Thanks again Sugarfried..........I'm just about sold on the PSM-400/E5's.
                Surreal (Alan)

Check out:

www.acousticplayermagazine.com/community

come join APM's acoustic forum!

Comment

Our band been using the PSM400s for over a year now. We are a trio and have three of the PSM400 transmitters, receivers, and mixers. The ONLY downside has been the random dropouts and occaisional squelch type noise. We can remedy some of that by ensuring good AC to the units, and changing freqencies as needed. When I first got them, I sent them all back to Shure for a 'dropout tune-up'.

Having said all that, I would NEVER go back to wedges. I love these things.

Sugarfried - any comments or suggestions regarding dropout or 'squeek/swish' noises?

Comment

Originally posted by TrickDog

I'm fixin to use them things this weekend. Been having luck with the plastic? Y'all reckon foam being better?

Foam seems to give the best seal and hence the best low end.

Terry D.
                    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Is is possible to get custom earplugs/sleeves, made from a mold, and incorporate an already purchased pair of E1, E2 or E5s into it? Can the earbud be removed from the earplug?

-B
                      Composer of Progressive Rock & Pop. Keys and Vocals. Yamaha S80, Kompakt, Kontakt, Mackie MS-1402, M-Audio Delta 66, Sonar 6 PE, decent mics, Pacific CX 5-piece drums.
                      Debut album: "Welcome to Flyover Country"
                      www.madisonmusicians.net
                      Popular Reasons Why Respondents Could Not Participate in Band

Comment

4midori: yes. An E1 or E5 can go between a custom sleeve or a universal one. So you can use your E1 or E5 with a custom sleeve, then take it off, put a foam on and let one of your friends try it.

J the D: Doe this audiologist have a website or anything? I'm interested in how he does his molding.

TrickDog: have you heard of Frequency Locater Mode in PSM400? It helps choose the best frequencies for each location you're in. Here's how:

With the receiver off, hold both of the side buttons down, and turn the unit on (just pact the click, no further) while still holding them. Once doing this you can let go of the buttons. The Antenna signal on the LCD display will start to flash. This means that you're in Locator Mode. Insert 1 earphone into your ear, while keeping the volume all the way down. Once the earphone is in, turn to the volume a tiny bit (it's very loud). Now you can scroll around the 16 frequencies and look for the clearest three (since there are three of you). You scroll around the same way as when you are changing channels. A "clean" channel is one where you hear a consistent white noise. An unclear channel is where you hear intermittent white noise, or no noise at all. The intermittence or lack of signal means that there is something on that frequency that could interfere with your signal. This is usually what causes those little "hits" that you spoke about.
                        Once you have three clear channels (write them down?), turn the receiver off. Now that receiver is back in regular mode.
                        Set the transmitters to those three frequencies, and then the receivers, and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Sugarfriend:

No web site. He's just been doing ears for a long time.

Perusing this thread has led me to the Sensaphonic and Westone web pages. I called the audiologist late yesterday afternoon and cancelled my appointment. I'm going to go with the experience and get a Sensaphonic silicone sleeve made rather than using my expensive ear buds as someone's practice. I asked my guy if he did their work but he doesn't. Hoping there is someone closer, he's more than two hours away. Will actually be a little cheaper than what he wanted to do and I'll be dealing with a known product.
                          Yeah, now!

Comment

New E5's yesterday.
                            superb! I upgraded from E1. My custom ear molds work for both.
                            The E5 look, sound and feel like the cadillac of the industry.

currently using a $55 Jensen 900mhz wireless system and am it's been working GREAT. Consumer stuff for sure. I bought it to check out the idea of IEM, but haven't seen a reason to spend the big bucks yet.

E5 are worth it.
                            sirDaniel...tone is NOT a game...

Comment

Originally posted by sirdaniel

currently using a $55 Jensen 900mhz wireless system and am it's been working GREAT. Consumer stuff for sure. I bought it to check out the idea of IEM, but haven't seen a reason to spend the big bucks yet.

Does that mean no limiter? No protection from blowing you ears out?
                              http://www.TomMatz.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Westone is the OEM maker of the E5s. At least, I've found the UM-2s to be pretty much the same as the E5s. Westone offers them for a much cheaper price. Also, you get a really nice pelican case with them. The UM2s are $330. The UM1s are $100 and equivelant to the E1s.

Yeah, pretty much only sensaphonic and westone make the molds. I feel both companies are either superior or at least a bteer deal for IEMs when compared to Shure.

Also, sleeves are interchangeble for E1, E3, E5, UM1, and UM2. Westone offers the UM56 that fit all of them. Also, Shure carries a few universal sleeves that Westone doesn't carry.

Comment

Working...
                                X