Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had good results with the Audix D4 in certain applications... Particularly in very small stages and small clubs where the larger mics (D-112) have given me some feedback problems. This also has to do with speaker placement in small clubs since the distance between the kick mic and the subs can be as little as 8 to 10 ft. Although the sub is "in front" (off axis) of the mic, there is still considerable sub-bass and bass rumble that projects to the kick mic that can create feedback.

Under the above mentioned conditions, the D4 responds very well. I've done dozens of different drummers in small clubs and they have all been satisfied with the sound of the kick.

IMHO, there is not one mic for all kick applications. Considering venue sizes, subs used, type of venue (outdoors / indoors) and other different variables, the requirements may and do change. I think the overall sound of the kick has more to do with the PA (mixer / EQs and subs) than the actual mic used.

Comment

does anyone know of what the drummer from fear factory uses?? His double-kick sound is just so perfect sounding, and a sound like that around where i live would blow people away.

Comment

Originally posted by Electron
        does anyone know of what the drummer from fear factory uses?? His double-kick sound is just so perfect sounding, and a sound like that around where i live would blow people away.

Yeah, kick drum triggers

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.C.

Yeah, kick drum triggers

I dunno what that means I'm not a drummer, and i was asking this question for a friend of mine. Could you please explain?

Comment

A drum trigger is a device that you mount on a drum, not unlike a mic. Rather than capturing the sound for amplification, like a mic, it senses and drum hit and "triggers" a sampled sound out of a sound module (brain). If a drummer has crappy gear and you can't quite get the sound you want, some soundmen will put triggers rather than/in combination with mic's. They then connect the trigger back to a brain that sends a sampled drum sound on to the front of house. Triggers and sound modules are what electronic drum kits use.....you can put them on an accoustic kit and sort of turn it into an electronic kit.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.fullsteamband.com/" target="_blank">Click here to check out my band: Full Steam</a><br />
            <br />
            <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290" target="_blank">Click here for our Facebook page</a></div>

Comment

After LOTS of research, I just ordered an Audix D6. Should be here within the next week, I hope.

If any of you out there has used one, I'm still interested in hearing more of your impressions of the D6, tips on placement, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1ordinary-guy

steamyz,

Please tell me that you bought the D6 because you tried other mics and liked it the best, and not because you already had D4's or because Travis Barker (Blink 182) uses them! Seriously, how/why did you choose the D6? What else have you tried, and what were the differences that you could tell? What kind of drums do you have, and how is your bass drum tuned?

Sorry for all the questions, but you're the first D6 owner to respond!

Thanks

I've got several D6's and i love them ! no i f'n love them

I've retired my D112 and beta52's to bass cabs~!
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Dan<br />
                <a href="mailto:dan@audioeast.com">dan@audioeast.com</a><br />
                <br />
                Audio East ~ New England Sound &amp; Lighting<br />
                Authorized Dealers: Allen &amp; Heath, Audix, Audio Technica, Ashly, Crest, Crown, DBX, Drawmer, Soundcraft, JBL, Midas, EV, Klark Teknik, TC Electronic, Lexicon, CBI, Yorkville, Gator Cases, Whirlwind, ProCo, Shure, Chauvet<br />
                <br />
                Like us on Facebook <a href="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Audio-East-Inc-New-England-Sound-Lighting/107437315944568" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07437315944568</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Audioeast

I've got several D6's and i love them ! no i f'n love them

I've retired my D112 and beta52's to bass cabs~!

Cool! So, where do you generally prefer placing the D6 when mic'ing a bass drum? Are they quite sensitive to vibration noise?
                  The reason I ask is that I'm trying to fabricate my own version of a May Internal mount that will attach to the drum on the inside of the bass drum. Do I need to incorporate some form of shock mounting, even though there are no toms or other hardware attached to the bass drum because I use a rack system?

Thanks for any help or insights you may offer!

Comment

I've used these SIB mounts instead of May's and they are much cheaper...seem to work fine!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030620113247068050151224605323/g=home/search/detail/base_id/53417

They have them for Tom's too.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.fullsteamband.com/" target="_blank">Click here to check out my band: Full Steam</a><br />
                    <br />
                    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290" target="_blank">Click here for our Facebook page</a></div>

Comment

Yeah, those SIB mounts look nice, but I don't want to spend $40 to buy one. They look easy enough to make for much less money.

What I want to know is.... is the shockmount bushing really necessary with the D6, if I don't have any other toms or cymbals attached to my bass drum?

Comment

Sooo.... How do you like your d6?
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">My band: <br />
                        <br />
                        <a href="http://www.mp3.com/classic_the_band" target="_blank">My Missouri Hardcore</a><br />
                        <br />
                        dual rec. left, 5150 right.</div>

Comment

I LOVE it! I probably sound like the Audix ads, but I've never had so many compliments on my bass drum sound. Well, I guess I've had compliments before while using a Beta 52, but that was in the hands of an EXCELLENT engineer.

I work more with mediocre engineers at my main gig now, so the fact that I can just plug in my mic and a great bass drum sound comes out with such minimal fuss is what really impresses me. I ended up customizing a Dixon cymbal boom arm that had threads which were a perfect match for a European-style mic clip (an adaptor comes with the D6), so I've got the flexibility to play with my mic position inside my bass drum. I settled on a position well-off-centre, about middle of the shell, with the mic pointed at the batter head, but not directly at the beater.

At my last gig, the engineer and I also did a head-to-head comparison with the house-owned D112 for interest's sake. EVERYONE preferred the sound obtained in my bass drum with my D6!

Comment

Originally posted by 1ordinary-guy
                            At my last gig, the engineer and I also did a head-to-head comparison with the house-owned D112 for interest's sake. EVERYONE preferred the sound obtained in my bass drum with my D6!

See, it just goes to show that a room full of deaf people can't be wrong!

Personally, I would have steered you towards either the Beta 91, or the Beyer ...I think it's the TGX-5.

Tim

Comment

Yeah, you're not the only one who's tried to push the Beta 91 on me. Its just too expensive here in Canada. And it requires a little bit more effort to EQ.

Beyer is almost impossible to find around here.

I'm quite happy with the D6, thank-you.

Comment

That is good to know, I just ordered one too.

Comment

Working...
                                X