Crown MicroTech 1200 - I need a repair estimate...

• Members

I've got this amp sitting in a road case in my basement - if I could get it fixed, it would take care of many problems right now for me.

Only problem is, I live in Elk Point, SD, where there are no repair places close. I'd have to ship it - does anyone here do Crown repair, or know of a place in Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, or Omaha that would give me an estimate on how much it would be to fix it?

I'm not asking for a free estimate, I'm not that naive:), but I'm willing to pay for someone's professional opinion.

I've plugged it in, (really shouldn't have...), played a cd straight into it, and even with the input gain maxed, there's very low output.

I've brought it up before, but now I have the money to do something about it.

Thanks,

Andy

• Members

Wow, I've heard of hot bands before, but ya'll were really smokin'!! Anyway, I've heard of these things happening before on high wattage power amplifiers and I guess it happened to your too. Obviously something totally shorted out in there and with flames coming out the front of it, probably melted and destroyed a number of components. It might be boat anchor time for it if it's going to cost too much to fix it. Good luck my friend, we're pulling for you. Don't let this sway you from buying Crown amps, they make some of the very finest power amplifiers in the world hands down.

• Members

Originally posted by swingbass

Don't let this sway you from buying Crown amps, they make some of the very finest power amplifiers in the world hands down.

Not everybody feels this way... I am NOT a Crown fan, never have been either. I think they are overpriced and over-hyped for what they are, and are no more reliable than some of the other products available.

• Members
Originally posted by SoundtechSD

I've got this amp sitting in a road case in my basement - if I could get it fixed, it would take care of many problems right now for me.

Only problem is, I live in Elk Point, SD, where there are no repair places close. I'd have to ship it - does anyone here do Crown repair, or know of a place in Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, or Omaha that would give me an estimate on how much it would be to fix it?

I'm not asking for a free estimate, I'm not that naive:), but I'm willing to pay for someone's professional opinion.

I've plugged it in, (really shouldn't have...), played a cd straight into it, and even with the input gain maxed, there's very low output.

I've brought it up before, but now I have the money to do something about it.

Thanks,

Andy

You could try Metro Sound in St Paul. Or possibly The place just off East 12th and Cliff in Sioux Fall,I believe it is called Mobile Electronics. I know they do some repair work and do re-cones.

• Members

Thanks guys.

Actually, it was my dad's band that it happened to. About ten years ago, and it's been sitting in storage since.

I'll pop the top off sometime here - one question, I know that it's dangerous to be poking around inside a tube amp because the capacitors store electricity - are we looking at the same type of situation with this amp?

I'll start calling repair places after I get a photo up here - - IF you guys think it's repairable for less than a brand new one.

-Andy

• Members

SoundtechSD,

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but here is my

estimate.

I had a MA 600 lose its left channel, when I decided

to clean the amp while was still powered up, and,

playing (Yeah I know you fuckin idiot! :rolleyes: )

I lost the channel when the top cover hit the transistor

upon closing up the amp.

Well, I carried it to this Audiophile Shop in which

they ordered the parts from Crown (Gave me a copy

of Crown's invoice)

Which cost around $338 I believe (Parts & Labor)

So, there's an estimate.

Gotta keep in mind that if it says Crest, Crown, and/or

QSC on the faceplate, your going to pay.

I had a Soundcraftsmen that lost its transistors that

only cost me $105 bucks.

Hmm . .. ...

Maybe I should sell my amps and use Soundcraftsmen instead?

I'm not that much of an idiot :D

• Members

Just find a Crown service center and send it to them Don't let a hack work on it or you will be in the same boat as another poster and his CROWN CE series!!!

Either ask for an estimate, or find out what they would recommend and give them a "do not exceed" authorization.

• Members

$300 isn't bad for that amp. If I can get it fixed, I'll use it as the mains power amp for my setup - just take an output from my powered mixer into it. Maybe run mono, and use one side for subs, if I ever get any, and the other side for midhighs.

Will my JBL SF15 cabs handle this amp? They're rated 250 watts continuous and 1000w peak.

Archived